Efficiency Loss for Stove Within Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydestone

Jan 11, 2006
I am installing my wood stove in an existing fireplace and do not want to extend the hearth at this time. It will be almost all the way within my fireplace. I know it it much less efficient than if it was sitting in the middle of the room, but I assuming I will still get some heat from it. The masonry chimney is an interior chimney. Thoughts?

I put my 13 flush in the fireplace. No problems here. Heats great.

Make sure the block off plate is done properly with sheet metal and rockwool to minimize heat loss up the chimney. Here's a pretty good link to proper installation.

first, install some reflective sheilds backed by some rockwool or something....on both sides, the rear, and the top.....and make sure you have a circulation blower somewhere back there......you should get a pile of heat out of that stove...

The masonry just acts as a heat sink. . .only a problem when half of it is outside of the house. +1 for a block off plate, which is a good idea for keeping more heat in the room any time a stove is vented through a masonry chimney.

the OP has an _interior_ masonry chimney--if he has a well sealed and insulated block off plate he'll be good to go. He can expt with a little fan blowing behind it, but I bet it won't make much difference.

What does the mantle look like--a stove could get it hooter than a fireplace!

I don't think it will be a problem at all. If anything being an interior chimney it will probably make for really even heat. Think of the thermal mass! Just be sure to do that blockoff plate that has been suggested.

Thanks for all the advice. The stove is installed and working well. I have not insulated and blanked of the damper opening on the bottom yet...next weekend! I am giving it a test run tonight to see what kind of heat she can throw. Have the digital thermometer placed on the other side of the room to see what kind of temperatures I will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.