1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Efficiency - Quadrafire V Harman

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Richardin52, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richardin52

Richardin52 Member

Loc:
    A farm in Maine
    I just bought a quadrafire pellet stove. It loads from the top into a pot and there is a lever I push and pull to empty the pot when it needs it. . The Harman loads from the bottom and pushes the ash out the top as it feeds. Someone told me the Harman is more efficient because of the way it feeds the pellets into the stove.

So whats the real story here? Does anyone really know or is this a sales pich?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    I dont think pellet stoves are technically effiecieny tested, but someone else might chime in if Im wrong.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Sounds like a sales pitch!

Efficiency depends on a LOT of factors, including stove sizing, design, pellet quality, burn rate, etc.

If I had to hazard a really rough guess, it would be that a top-fed unit had a slight edge (all things being equal) in efficiency with high quality pellets at variable rates, but that bottom-fed works as good or better at high rates -and, of course, the bottom-fed burns higher ash pellets much better.

I think you made a good choice. Many years ago there was a shoot-out done with pellet stoves in the field - and, as I remember, Quad came out on top or near the top.
  4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Loc:
    CT
    Quad dealer told me today mt vernon heats 543 sq ft per lb of pellets vs harman xxv 275 sq ft per lb of pellets but this was the quad dealer, harman dealer told me that harman is more efficient.
  5. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    [quote author="Webmaster" date="1212633517"]Sounds like a sales pitch!

Efficiency depends on a LOT of factors, including stove sizing, design, pellet quality, burn rate, etc.

If I had to hazard a really rough guess, it would be that a top-fed unit had a slight edge (all things being equal) in efficiency with high quality pellets at variable rates, (quote)

I`m not doubting your rough guess but I`d really like to know how you arrived at that conclusion?
    John
  6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Loc:
    CT
    That's what I thought!!
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    They should be ashamed of themselves...really!

Just for fun....can you ask them for a single piece of written information to back up that claim????

It makes me ashamed of the industry to hear that stuff, but then again I can't fix the Human condition all by myself! Maybe I should start an "ethics" committee in our trade org.
  8. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Loc:
    CT
    will ask tomorrow and let u know!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.