Efficient Burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eman5oh

Sep 24, 2010
Cortland NY
Efficient Burning? So I am new Englander NC-30 Owner and am loving the wood heat and the stove. My question is while burning is it better to load the fire box half full and let it burn down and continue to feed the fire or is better to load her full up and not feed as often? What method make better use of the wood? For over night burns what is the best method to still have a fire going the next morning with out having to start from scratch?

Glad the stove is working out! As a rule, bigger loads with fewer feedings is more efficient. Other 30-owners can chime in, but I believe your longest burns will be from large splits/rounds loaded N-S (meaning straight in).

Overnight burns, even when the stove is fully loaded (MOST stove sizes..........not referring to those folks who have build stoves the size of 55 Gal. drums), will peter out by morning but leave you embers behind. It really depends on your schedule and diligence.

The wife and I have learned to share the responsibility of tending the fire, and we have adapted ourselves to the way "our" stove burns. They each (even the same models) burn differently, depending on the installation location, your particular area elevation, draft, etc...

We typically will load a starter fire first, and gradually increase log size, once a good bed of glowing embers has been established, and then put in a couple of splits at a time. Stove size really dictates how full you fill it.

Burning "hot" is valuable on some levels (not the least of which is minimizing the build up of creosote), as well as burning wood that is around 20% moisture content, and not burning any trash. We have learned from experience, not to get too anal about the moisture content, and just ensure you keep your wood dry.

-Soupy1957

EPA stoves burn best in cycles - choose the load size based on your heating needs, then let that load burn down to coals before reloading.

Congrats on the new stove. In addition to load size, tree species is also a consideration. Loading up your stove with poplar is the same as going 2/3 full with the good stuff as long as you can control the burn. You will find a lot more people giving away poplar than sugar maple.

eman5oh said:
Efficient Burning? So I am new Englander NC-30 Owner and am loving the wood heat and the stove. My question is while burning is it better to load the fire box half full and let it burn down and continue to feed the fire or is better to load her full up and not feed as often? What method make better use of the wood? For over night burns what is the best method to still have a fire going the next morning with out having to start from scratch?

As others have mentioned . . . it is more efficient to burn in cycles . . . reload on the hot coals . . . if you need more heat, use less wood . . . if you need more heat, fill 'er up.

Overnight burns . . . it helps to have had the fire going for a bit and have a decent layer of ash in the firebox . . . the secret to my success at having enough coals to get the fire going easy in the morning is to fill up the firebox and use larger splits and rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.