Efficient cooking suggestions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We also have a Zojirushi. It’s a bbcc x20. It has lasted longer than others we have had. We did have to buy a new pan after years of frequent use. My wife used it today to mix the dough and for the first rise. Then it rose again on the warming shelf before baking.

A998F7C0-C89A-413E-AE76-FA85184C39CB.jpeg

Last edited:
We also have a Zojirushi. It’s a bbcc x20. It has lasted longer than others we have had. We did have to buy a new pan after years of frequent use. My wife used it today to mix the dough and for the first rise. Then it rose again on the warming shelf before baking.

View attachment 289143
If not for the calories, I would pick one up, they have great rep.

If not for the calories, I would pick one up, they have great rep.
i didn’t add up the calories in this batch of dough which was 15 pounds of flour.……

ok I just added it up. 24,000, or about 800 per dough ball. That means on pizza night I ate…… never mind

76D0B445-3039-493C-8BE8-057A15AB3524.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: ispinwool and Max W
i didn’t add up the calories in this batch of dough which was 15 pounds of flour.……

ok I just added it up. 24,000, or about 800 per dough ball. That means on pizza night I ate…… never mind

View attachment 289149
Who said good help is hard to find.

Reactions: EbS-P
We've tried several bread machines before settling on the Zojirushi Ultimate. It does a good job, is flexible, has many options for the stages of rise and baking, and stands up well.
When we were looking to buy a bread maker a couple of years ago, I really liked the features on the Zojirushi, but I ended up getting a similar one called the Breville Custom Loaf because I found it used at a much lower cost. I really like that it is able to be customized and paused. If ours were to die, I’d definitely want to replace it.

Reactions: begreen
I really like that it is able to be customized and paused. If ours were to die, I’d definitely want to replace it.
That's the key features we like. Durability is also good. Haven't looked at the Breville, but we like their stick blender a lot. It is the best.

We use a ceramic top (non induction) and convection oven, but try to use the cook stove as often as possible. The cook stove is great for baking, frying, and roasting. We have an instapot, but don't use it very often, mostly for hard boiled eggs and homemade chipotle. We use the grill/offset smoker in the summer. We love bbq and raise our own pork. We hunt and fish and love flame cooked food. Rabbits, squirrels, woodchuck, pigeon, venison, etc... fire makes everything taste better.

We can't use an induction top because my wife's still is copper.

I guess anytime you can use your woodstove for cooking, that is pretty efficient!

Technically, if you're using an electric cook stove in the winter, that is a 100% efficient heater as you're getting all that heat in the house one way or the other. You're getting all the heat in the summer, too, but, of course, you might be fighting air conditioning then.
For several years, I had a small oven set up in the garage, so when we needed to bake in the summer, I'd use it to keep the heat out of the house. Now we eat a lot more salad and fresh vegetables, so a lot less baking overall and essentially none in the summer. So a change in diet can also lead to energy savings!

sizzlin.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P
It was fifty today going clear, cloudy, showery then clear. It was another good day for the minsplit and later opening the greenhouse slider to the kitchen. Unfortunately we left the slider open late and cooled the house some. For supper and to warm things I fired up the cookstove planning on starting potatoes to boiling on the glass top electric before moving to the woodstove. Instead I timed how long it took to get the four smallish potatoes from lighting the stove to boiling, twenty minutes. Not as fast as electric but not too bad and somewhat more efficient cost wise.