Efficient storage tank layout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
What would be the most efficient set up for a heat storage tank(s) if I plan to use a wood boiler and solar heat? I would think the best solution would be to put the tanks in series and operate them as a cascade. The returning cold water would pass through the solar tank first then the wood boilers tank. Solar would tend to operate more efficiently at lower temperatures so I would think having a seperate tank from the wood boiler would be best?
Current thoughts on tank sizes would be 250 gallon tank for 160 ft/sq solar and 1300 gallon for EKO 40. Do these tank sizes sound about right?
Also during the summer months I plan on using the wood boilers tank for irrigation (solar alone should provide ample heat for DHW so I don't need the boilers tank), rain water from the roof will be directed to the tank and a sprinkler pump will be used to pump out the tank. Can anyone think of any issues I may have by filling and draining the tank on a daily basis?

Can anyone think of any issues I may have by filling and draining the tank on a daily basis?
I would definitely check into filtration of rain water prior to tanking it.

Will

My thoughts on filtration are to use gutter guards on the gutters, which keeps leaves, branches, and other large stuff out of the gutters. Then just before the tank have a seperate filter tank. I found some filter tanks @ www.conservationtechnology.com.

clarkharms said:
What would be the most efficient set up for a heat storage tank(s) if I plan to use a wood boiler and solar heat? I would think the best solution would be to put the tanks in series and operate them as a cascade. The returning cold water would pass through the solar tank first then the wood boilers tank. Solar would tend to operate more efficiently at lower temperatures so I would think having a seperate tank from the wood boiler would be best?
Current thoughts on tank sizes would be 250 gallon tank for 160 ft/sq solar and 1300 gallon for EKO 40. Do these tank sizes sound about right?
Also during the summer months I plan on using the wood boilers tank for irrigation (solar alone should provide ample heat for DHW so I don't need the boilers tank), rain water from the roof will be directed to the tank and a sprinkler pump will be used to pump out the tank. Can anyone think of any issues I may have by filling and draining the tank on a daily basis?

Corrosion-I don't know your geographic location but rain water can be very acidic, especially with all the oxygen in it. I don't think this idea would be good for the tanks considering the sizeable investment you have in your system.

Mike

Corrosion would be my primary concern especially if I use aluminum heat exchangers. I am located on the CT shoreline, I don't know if that is an especially corrosive rain water area or not. I would like to use copper coils but I am having trouble finding them at a reasonable cost.

I would like to use copper coils but I am having trouble finding them at a reasonable cost.
Check out refrigeration tubing. Less than standard soft coil.
Will

Status
Not open for further replies.