EKO 25 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckman44

Nov 30, 2008
central new york
I have been running my eko 25 for about a week now. I am still tickering with it a little bit. mark from AHONA has been a big help. I changed some settings but i am still going through more wood than seems. Right now I only have 120 gallon storage tank hooked up. Mark said to try that tank and see how it goes. i am trying to see if I can cut down on wood consumption. it seems I have to put wood in every 4 hours. I dont know if hooking up more water storage will help or burn more wood. i am heating a 2800 sq house i built last year so it is very well insulated but i also hooked up a fan in the basement to heat that a little. any ideas will be a help. i ma trying to see if it only needs to be filled after 8 hours in case I cant go home from work during the day.

buckman44 said:
I have been running my eko 25 for about a week now. I am still tickering with it a little bit. mark from AHONA has been a big help. I changed some settings but i am still going through more wood than seems. Right now I only have 120 gallon storage tank hooked up. Mark said to try that tank and see how it goes. i am trying to see if I can cut down on wood consumption. it seems I have to put wood in every 4 hours. I dont know if hooking up more water storage will help or burn more wood. i am heating a 2800 sq house i built last year so it is very well insulated but i also hooked up a fan in the basement to heat that a little. any ideas will be a help. i ma trying to see if it only needs to be filled after 8 hours in case I cant go home from work during the day.

I've never been able to get a lot more than 4 hours out of a single filling. However, I need only about 7 hours burn time on a typical day. That works out to am initial starting load, then a full load a bit later.

Without storage, you're stuck either letting the house temp fluctuate or building more than one fire per day.

Don't be afraid to let it go out - it's more efficient that way. When I didn't have storage, I'd build a fire when I got home from work, and let it almost go out before loading it to the gills at bedtime. The fire would go out sometime during the night, but the house would still be comfortable in the morning. By afternoon, it would be getting chilly and time to start the fire again.

Hey buckman, I also have the EKO 25 with no storage. I am heating a 2000sq. ft. house well insulated with cathedral ceilings and DHW and I do get 8 hours of burn time per full load of wood. I have tinkered with the primary air openings and I cut the fan speed down to 90%. If I fill it up at 10PM and I get up at 6AM I still have a good bed of coals, if it is going to be over 40 degrees or so, I will put a few more logs on to get the wife through the AM and let it go out, the house stays warm (70 degrees) all day and then I start another fire about 5 or 6 PM. This is working great for me so far.

I have a no storage setup as well and have been burning for about 3 plus weeks. The only thing I have done is turned the fan down to 70%, might turn it down some more just to see but I am getting 10 to 12 hrs out of a full load. Heating 2000 square feet plus hot water, my system has to keep the h2o up to 160 in my oil boiler or my it will kick on (its old and I don't want it to cool down or it leaks). So with this I am stuck keeping the wood boiler in full operation day and night. I do notice wood species makes a big difference with the burn time as my yellow and black birch or ash seems to go a lot longer than a full load of red maple.

A couple weeks after my first firing Mark at AHONA sent me the "air settings" page. After running at those settings for a couple weeks while addressing other problems I started playing with the air. My fan speed is not adjustable but after reading several posts on this forum I think I have found the optimum primary air setting. At least for now! I think most of us are tinkerers and probably will never stop playing.

The chart called for 1/2 opening but after I added some weight to the counterbalance of the air valve because of leaking problems, I felt the need to increase the opening to compensate for the extra pressure it might take to open the flap. The flame did not seem to be much different than it had been. After reading through many posts on this forum I started closing the air intake and observing the burn. I'm down to about a 1.25 inch opening, measured at the outside ring on the housing ane am experiencing o nice blue flame with a longer burn time. Interestingly, the stack temp. does not seem to have changed.

Disclaimer: My observations on stack temp. and burn time have not been as scientific as they could have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.