EKO 25 in Living Space?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not an EKO but looks identical,but note the smoke flap on the loading chamber opening. Seems like it would be an easy retrofit to a new EKO or even an old one.
Sure it doesn't work perfectly,but I bet it helps.

I have my boiler in the basement. And 2-3x day I'm greatful that I don't have walk out to shed through sub zero temps and 3 feet of snow.

I don't see it as a risk to my family any more than an oil or gas boiler. But I did put the boilers in a contained room with 5/8" Sheetrock and sprinklers. Just in case.

All sounds good, but no way is a wood boiler same as an oil/gas boiler in terms of controlled shut downs, smoke emission controls and safety protocols.
My boiler is also in basement and not in the boiler room, but rather in the open area.
Scott

All sounds good, but no way is a wood boiler same as an oil/gas boiler in terms of controlled shut downs, smoke emission controls and safety protocols.
My boiler is also in basement and not in the boiler room, but rather in the open area.
Scott
There are risks for any system.

But for starters wood boilers don't tend to explode like gas meters do from time to time. And since I have 1000 gallons of storage the wood boiler is not firing at night like gas and oil boilers do. I actually feel safer sleeping knowing that everything is shut down and I'm running off storage.

There are smoke alarms, co2 detector and sprinklers in the boiler room. And plenty of safety controls and piping strategies to contain an overfire situation. It's not foolproof but neither is anything else.

Reactions: Fred61 and maple1
There are risks for any system.

But for starters wood boilers don't tend to explode like gas meters do from time to time. And since I have 1000 gallons of storage the wood boiler is not firing at night like gas and oil boilers do. I actually feel safer sleeping knowing that everything is shut down and I'm running off storage.

There are smoke alarms, co2 detector and sprinklers in the boiler room. And plenty of safety controls and piping strategies to contain an overfire situation. It's not foolproof but neither is anything else.

no doubt...all correct and I am in full agreement. There are plenty failsafe methods for all you have stated and we have reached this point through loss.
But,ie: A wood boiler during a burn may experience power loss, and if the back Gen fails to kick , or no one is home to start it....dump zone activated, but the boiler is still burning..plenty of issues there, where a conv boiler would just stop.
To my point, not all wood boilers are designed or equipped for optimal operational safety to the levels of conventional boilers..that is the point I am emphasizing.
We can debate this forever, but a simple insurance Ryder will put that to bed and not saying they are to my agreement or liking, just the current state of reality.
Also do not want to further hijack the OP's thread.
SK

Last edited:
I have my EKO 25 120' from the house. I like it there 95 % of the time. In his case he is all set up for an EKO 25 in the basement, can back the trailer right into the basement and get wood down there very easily. I would go inside just for the sake of not needing $14 per ft. under ground pex 3' down. Just put it in the house. and be done. I love my EKO outside in a 6x6' shed. I used to have a fireplace in the living room for 19 yrs and never again, especially in the living room. Tonight though , like Stee 6043 said, he doesn't have to go outside to load his wood in a snow storm, I do and it will suck. On nice nights though , I love it. Just stand there , look up at the stars and get some good fresh air before bed . You, Stee, don't get that finest part of the night.,

Reactions: BoiledOver
Status
Not open for further replies.