EKO 40 Chimney height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damammel

Nov 29, 2007
eastern CT
I am wondering how high people have gone with their chimney for an EKO 40 that is located in a shed. I know the label states 7 meters (21 feet) but is it required if it is not located in the house? I have a mostly open area with only a few pines on one side. My shed is no where that high and to get the chimney up that far I think I may need a lift. I was thinking about running 12' off the tee but I don't know how much it will affect the boiler operation. Any thoughts or comments would be great.

Derek

I am 9 feet from my ceiling to the top of the chimney. Its about 4 feet from the back of the 40 to the ceiling. It has enough draft and runs fine. I am also in a shed - 21 feet would require scaffolding and an FAA beacon.

Anybody out there have problems with draft on your EKO boiler during reloading? Several persons have advised me not to install the EKO indoors because of smoking when adding fuel.

My EKO 40 is located in a 9' X 12" insulated shed. I have about 9 feet of 8 inch insulated chimney and about 4 feet of 8 inch stove pipe off a tee connected to the boiler. At first I got lots of smoke coming out when I opened the door for loading. I thought I would add another 3' section of chimney to see if that would give a better draft. Since then I have learned how to load without getting much smoke. Now I doubt whether I will go ahead with the additional chimney. The boiler is running just great.

I have my EKO 40 in a 10 X 18 very well insulated out building. I have 9 feet of 6 inch double wall off the tee. I also have a rain cap.

At first I was thinking about adding 3 more feet to help the draft at loading time but I guess I got better at it because I decided not to.

That said, I am very glad I did not put it in the house.

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I'm going to shoot for 12' and give it a try. I think the beacons cost to much to install. I hope to fire it up this week. Can't wait been a long time putting it together.

Are any of you all using pressurized storage?
How far away from your house is the EKO?

I do not have storage.

The EKO is about 35 feet from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.