Eko 40 clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huffdawg

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I will be installing my eko 40 with tighter clearances than the recommended 18" from combustible materials. Anyone know of a good material to install on the walls adjacent to the boiler to allow me to do this .

I have minimal space ,hence the need for smaller clearances.

Cheers Huff

I have mine about 8" from the wall made of 2x4 and osb. The wall doesn't even get hot. Mine is outside where it's cold though.

huffdawg said:
I will be installing my eko 40 with tighter clearances than the recommended 18" from combustible materials. Anyone know of a good material to install on the walls adjacent to the boiler to allow me to do this .

I have minimal space ,hence the need for smaller clearances.

Cheers Huff

As a thought, have you considered whether that clearance is strictly for fire code, or is it also needed to be able to possibly service the boiler at some future point?

That said, there are lots of options for "clearance reduction walls" including sheet metal, Durock or other cement boards that are rated for this, etc. Key thing is that you are making the wall you are reducing the clearance to into something that is NON-combustible...

Gooserider

Good to see ya back Goose, your knowledge has been a great help with my project as well as many others too. I have been kind of holding off on the piping and design work of my system till you got back.
I have a small boiler room at the back of my shop built now . I should have the chimney in today. Yes I have thought about the clearance for maintenance also ,the left side of my boiler will be about 9" from the wall .I will be able to move the boiler away from the wall if I need to by disconnecting at unions and the exhaust outlet.

Thanx for the good link in hot water , I will most likely use sheet metal on top of drywall.

Huff

Status
Not open for further replies.