EKO 40 defficiency?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
I am just starting to run my EKO 40. It isn't hooked up to a heat sink (load) yet. I just wanted to run the boiler to make sure everything is working as it should, also I am wiring up the shed it is in so I have lots of time to be with it and make observations. One thing I noticed is there is a considerable amount of smoke roll out when the loading door is opened. I have 6' of 8" black pipe that connects to 12' of 8" SS chimney pipe; only one 90 right off the back of the boiler. I think the fundemantal problem is the exhaust out the back of the EKO is LOWER than the loading door. I guess this is something you just have to live with, this makes me much happier that I decided to install it outside of my living space.

"I think the fundemantal problem is the exhaust out the back of the EKO is LOWER than the loading door. I guess this is something you just have to live with, this makes me much happier that I decided to install it outside of my living space."

How true! My old wood furnace had a door flap that prevented the smoke issue but the EKO doesn't have the head room for a similar plate with out reducing the the load or cutting the wood to accommodate a plate. The plate would have to hang from the air inlets in the primary chamber but it could be done but the creosote it collects would be a real nuisance. For now I just live with it.

This had come up a few times in the past. Having a tall chimney with good draft helps, but the real answer is this:

Once you close the door, don't open it again until it has burned down to coals.

Avoid the temptation to peek. Don't add wood sooner than necessary. There really is no reason to open the door when the fire is still cranking.

There are several ways to tell when it's ready:

1) If you have a flue temp gauge, look at the flue temp. It will drop quite a bit as the unburned wood is used up.

2) Open the secondary door. No flame? Time to reload.

3) The boiler will not be able to maintain the desired output temp any more.

You can open the door when there are a LOT of coals left and be OK. The problem arises when it's in full-tilt gasification mode and the door is opened.

I agree with nofossil, I have been doing it that way now for 2 years, I never open and load untill I know there are just coals or close to it. I just watch my stack temp and when it starts on its way down I know it is just hot coals at that point. Or when my timer shuts the thing down I am good to go.

Steve

In addition to only loading when you are down to coals, you will also find you have a better draft once the outside temperatures get lower, unlike the past few days. You can also improve your draft by wrapping your 6' of stove pipe with insulation, which will help maintain a higher temperature in the chimney and thus better draft. I have about 2' of stove pipe and 15' of insulated SS pipe and I can open my EKO40 loading door and get no smoke only on colder days (i.e. <25*F).

I installed a booster fan on the smoke pipe.I wired it to a timer and a switch.I turn the switch on rotate the timer for about 3 minutes and slowley open the door after 30 seconds.If I forget to turn off the switch the timer will stop the fan. Not the best but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.