EKO 40 Plumbing Diagram help requested

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMX_512

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2008
Louisville, KY
Well I have bought an EKO 40 and now would like some insight on plumbing.
I plan on using either 1 1/4 inch copper or black pipe (have not decided yet) from the boiler to storage and 1 inch PEX from storage to Loops.
I kinda went crazy with the valves but hey....I haven't bought any plumbing yet.
Nofossil....you might recognize this layout.....thanks for all of your Pics and suggestions throughout this forum.
I am converting these from AutoCAD and the text seems to get a bit funky...sorry

I know that there are several ways to plumb these systems but I guess that I am just asking if I am on the right track or not. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• EKO 40_Plumbing_2.jpg
    EKO 40_Plumbing_2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 431
  • EKO 40_Storage elevation.jpg
    EKO 40_Storage elevation.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 409
  • EKO 40_Storage_Loops.jpg
    EKO 40_Storage_Loops.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 397
I don't have much time right now, but a couple of quick comments / suggestions:

1) If you use a plate HX for your DHW, you probably want a circulator on the DHW side to draw water from the bottom of the DHW tank and return it to the top. You'll also DEFINITELY need a mixing valve between the tank and the house to prevent scalding.

2) The two storage tank top connections could present a problem. In the rightmost picture, it looks like flow would go out the left side of the tank, through the circ, and back to the right side of the tank.

It's worth spending time looking at pressure and possible flow paths for each mode of operation.

Regarding the "dual bypass" suggested by Danfoss - I haven't seen anyone explain to me what this accomplishes? I just wrapped up the install of my system with 1000 gallons of storage and I did not include the second bypass in my system. Everything seems to work fine as long as you have the ball valve to force some hot water into a cold system.

One note - at least two of us here have received Danfoss valves that were assembled incorrectly recently. The thermostats were installed backwards which makes system operation very difficult. While you're doing your install it will be worth your while to pop the cover off your Danfoss and see if the t-stat is pointing in the right direction. If it's not, it can easily be rotated 180.

Nofossil,
In Response to your #2 suggestion/comment....The Valves that are in line with the "From EKO" and "To Loops" would normally be closed, diverting, water from the EKO into the tank and then out to the loops. I had put the valves in line in case I had to drain or work on the Storage Tank. Does that make sense or did I miss your point?

Thanks

DMX_512 said:
Nofossil,
In Response to your #2 suggestion/comment....The Valves that are in line with the "From EKO" and "To Loops" would normally be closed, diverting, water from the EKO into the tank and then out to the loops. I had put the valves in line in case I had to drain or work on the Storage Tank. Does that make sense or did I miss your point?

Thanks

OK - makes sense. The circulator on the left side of the storage runs whenever zones need heat, and all flow from the EKO passes through the top of the tank?

Nofossil,
Correct....the Pump on the left side of the tank will supply the zones and the hot water "From EKO" and "To Loops" will be drawn from the top of the tank. The cooler water "From Loops" and "To EKO" will be at the bottom of the tank. However, this seems a little counter-intuitive to me. At first I thought about having the "From EKO" on the right side of the drawing put the hot water into the bottom of the tank and then getting the return water "To EKO" from the bottom. Getting a crossing effect with the heated water. I noticed though that just about all diagrams seem to have the hot water supplied to the top of the storage tank and the cooler water put back into the tank at the bottom.

DMX_512 said:
Nofossil,
Correct....the Pump on the left side of the tank will supply the zones and the hot water "From EKO" and "To Loops" will be drawn from the top of the tank. The cooler water "From Loops" and "To EKO" will be at the bottom of the tank. However, this seems a little counter-intuitive to me. At first I thought about having the "From EKO" on the right side of the drawing put the hot water into the bottom of the tank and then getting the return water "To EKO" from the bottom. Getting a crossing effect with the heated water. I noticed though that just about all diagrams seem to have the hot water supplied to the top of the storage tank and the cooler water put back into the tank at the bottom.

You want to obtain and preserve as much stratification as possible. Hottest water at the top, coldest at the bottom. There may be some benefit in terms of improved response time if you allow water to pass directly from the EKO to the zones without having to go through the tank. At least the way you have it, it only has to pass through the top of the tank.

Nofossil,
So if I follow what you are saying...The way that I have it drawn now with the Valves above the storage tanks closed should be fine? Hot water From EKO will be Supplied to the top of the tank and hot water To Loops/Zones will be taken from the top of the tank as well.
I am also going to put in another Danfoss or thermic valve off of the DHW to prevent scalding.
As far as the circulator on the DHW I will check into that. I am not really sure how to re-plumb the Hot water tank to achieve water being drawn from the bottom of the tank.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.