eko 40 super fan run time question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherguy

Aug 18, 2008
central me
Just got my eko 40 super on line w/1300 gal storage, No Problems except a little air, I get great gasification good heat transfer Thanks to all on this site and especially the simplest pressurized sticky. My question is that my fan stays running after wood is gone and boiler is hot . My setting N 50 (fan 50%), n 40 (?? what is this) P on 165, h 13, Temp 185f the rest are factory default. I have not adjusted any air settings except I turned the fan intake a little and turned it back. (I will fool with fine tuning later on.)
I would like to have the fan and gasification end and leave bed of coals. Is this possible or just a dream. I have rk-2001ua controller and new horizon manual.

Many of us use a 12 hour timer on the draft fan to accomplish this. There are more sophisticated ways but the EKO can't tell when the wood is gone on it's own. It only knows when the water cools.

Leatherguy, your EKO 40 should shut down based on the Fd60 & Fb30 settings. I set min to 2hrs for both after I had a situation with a FUEL timeout with almost a fuel load of wood. The wood was some of my junk wood (less than ideal) that I was burning on a day I was home and available for more fire tending. By the time I re-started the EKO controller the whole thing was dried and loaded with wood gas. Needless to say, quite a bit of "huffing and puffing" for the EKO for the next 45" that made me uncomfortable. I would rather have the fan run an extra hour than have this happen again. Stee6043, doesn't your EKO go to the FUEL timeout message and shut the fan down on its own? I thought just the guys using the Econoburns or Tarms were using the 12 hr timers.

Husk, I think the OP was talking about the end of a burn. Not a full load that "stalls". Yes, I have the same controller but it cannot sense when the wood is really gone are "almost gone" at the end of a burn. This is where the timer helps.

leatherguy said:
Just got my eko 40 super on line w/1300 gal storage, No Problems except a little air, I get great gasification good heat transfer Thanks to all on this site and especially the simplest pressurized sticky. My question is that my fan stays running after wood is gone and boiler is hot . My setting N 50 (fan 50%), n 40 (?? what is this) P on 165, h 13, Temp 185f the rest are factory default. I have not adjusted any air settings except I turned the fan intake a little and turned it back. (I will fool with fine tuning later on.)
I would like to have the fan and gasification end and leave bed of coals. Is this possible or just a dream. I have rk-2001ua controller and new horizon manual.

you can by adjusting the fb setting. On your 40 your fan should be 100% with fan shutter 100% But if its working then thats good.

Rob

I get the end of burn FUEL less than 10% of the time. I will try the Fd60 & Fb30 settings at 2 hours to see if it makes a difference. So you wire the timer just on the blower fan? My Paxo (like an Eko) with the same controller only has one fan for the supply air, no exhause fan. Makes a lot more sense than wirng the controller (which would shut off the pump, not a good idea if the wood is still burning).

Status
Not open for further replies.