Eko 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
start button ?

huffdawg said:
started a fire in the eko and the fan doesnt come on for some reason. Any suggestions
Is this a 110 or 220 volt boiler. Is it possible a relay isn't kicking in because of low voltage? Just a long shot, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
huffdawg said:
started a fire in the eko and the fan doesnt come on for some reason. Any suggestions
Is this a 110 or 220 volt boiler. Is it possible a relay isn't kicking in because of low voltage? Just a long shot, Randy

The controller has a 110 volt plug coming out of it .

I can hear the fan humming but it isnt turning .maybe the boiler thinks its in idle mode

If you have the fan speed at 50% try turning it up some.
My fan stops and buzzes when its running on the ups(modified sine wave)back-up power supply.
I also blow the fan impeller out with an air hose once in a while-it gets pretty dusty.

mr.fixit said:
If you have the fan speed at 50% try turning it up some.
My fan stops and buzzes when its running on the ups(modified sine wave)back-up power supply.
I also blow the fan impeller out with an air hose once in a while-it gets pretty dusty.

How do you turn up the fan speed or atleast see what it is . I'm not to fluent with the controller yet .factory default says its at 100% in the manual

Press and hold the little "OK" button. Display should then show fan speed.n100,n90,n80 or whatever its set at.
You know, sometimes you have to play with things a little bit to figure out how they work.Aren't you married?

Two things come to mind. First something is preventing the blower from working (siezed bearings, physical obstruction like twig or metal like the cage has been dented in and pressing on the squirrel cage). Humming means power is there. Leaving it hum for very long could burn up the motor. Sometimes just a little bump to the squirrel cage will start the rotation. Second is if it is a capacitor start motor the start capacitor might be bad and not giving the surge of power you neede to start the blower. If the capacitor is bad you will need to replace it. I haven't looked at min in a long time and don't remember if it is capacitor start or not. I don't think the problem is with the motor speed settings as they are designed to work at a reduced power setting but it is remotely possible and that would likely mean a new controller is in order. The circc on my boiler would not pump after sitting all summer and a light tunk from a rubberized hammer handle snapped it out of it's daze. I bought a back up just in case though. My first thought is an obstruction or siezed bearings.

taxidermist said:
Best thing to do is print this off and keep next to your boiler. I look at mine all the time. I even have one right next to my chair to look at it while I try to answer ? on here.

http://www.newhorizoncorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/RK-2001UA-ENG1.pdf

Rob

Yes I have that . just scrolled through everything is good by the looks of it . I set fan speed to 100 %.
My guess is that the fan is pooched allready, I'll have to try and bypass the controller and power it somehow.

check the connection at the blower they have tiny connectors that might have come loose.

Also check the connection at the controller.

Rob

If it didn't scrape when roatating and it ran smooth but then quit it could be bearings need oil. Some controllers only allow for a momentary surge at start up then cut back to the lower setting.

check all the wiring connections. A loose connection, bad wire nut or any bad connection will carry voltage, but not enough current to start or run. Also the connections at the capacitor.

I've had this happen with stranded wire also when only a few strands were touching the terminal strip.

Wire a short cord with a plug, like a disposal cord or old computer cord, directly to the fan and plug it in.

hr

That's what I'd suggest: wire the fan directly and see if it goes, if so then trace it back from there. I had a capacitor go south on one of my fans. They're cheap from new horizon. Good luck.

Huff,

Sorry to see you are having problems with it. Have you found a way to get that fan working?

Mark at AHONA gave me a spare capacitor when I bought my boiler - he said many of the original issue capacitors were not very good. He was right! I used the replacement unit. You may be able to take out the old capacitor and get a match from Radio Shack or an auto parts store. Also, if it is tight bearings, try spinning my hand (or with an air compressor) until it loosens up.

Opened up the connection box for the fan there was a loose ground tightened it up and then hooked up a line cord for a separate power source . The fan tried to turn but couldn't . it just made a humming sound . I'll try to find a capicitor.

Huff

huffdawg said:
.... I'll try to find a capicitor.
You have a relatively new boiler, correct? Have you asked the dealer about getting a replacement capacitor under warranty?

willworkforwood said:
huffdawg said:
.... I'll try to find a capicitor.
You have a relatively new boiler, correct? Have you asked the dealer about getting a replacement capacitor under warranty?
I bought it new from Dave at cozy heat . I havent had a chance to contact him yet I will try tomorrow. But even so that might take awhile I live on the westcoast.

I'll try radioshack tomorrow.

Replaced the capicitor this morning and the blower is operational. The one I bought was to big to be mounted inside the enclosure so will have to mount on the outside of it. it cost $8.00

Good thing cause the shop was starting cool off.

Huff

huffdawg said:
Replaced the capicitor this morning and the blower is operational. The one I bought was to big to be mounted inside the enclosure so will have to mount on the outside of it. it cost $8.00

Good thing cause the shop was starting cool off.

Huff
Great news you are up and running :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.