EKO 60 First Firing - Question on System Pressure Increase

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickh1001

Jun 4, 2008
upstate NY
Finally fired the new EKO 60 system today. After finally getting a decent conventional fire going, switching over to gassification mode was a thing of joy. Everything worked as planned. I've only burned about 6 hours, and am approaching things slowly, but so far, everything seems to be working as planned, except I have one concern.

I have a 500 gallon LP tank, and used an SX-160 expansion tank, with 86 gal vol and a 46 gal acceptance volume, so I have more than enough expansion capacity. When cold, the system was at 12 psi. As it came up to temp, I noticed the pressure was rising as well. With the system at about 160 degrees, I was reading 18 psi. I am a little concerned, in that the pressure should remain constant with temp - correct? The supply water pressure regulator is new, and must be working to provide the initial 12 psi correctly, so why am I seeing a pressure rise with increasing temp? The Extrol tank was set at 12 psi initially, and I don't think there are any restrictions anywhere on the plumbing.

Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

PS

I will post some pics of the install once I clean the area up and make everything look pretty.

Sounds about normal for me. Exp tank will start accepting water at 12 psi. As temp rises, exp tank takes water and compresses the bladder, all resulting in some increase in system pressure. You probably have a 30 psi relief valve. I wouldn't worry unless you start to get close to that, which shouldn't happen.

When my system is cold (1000 gal storage), about 60-70F, I have the system pressurized to about 3-4 psi. At about 100-110F, pressure is about 12 psi, and it will rise slowly after that (exp tank is taking expanded water). I will not get above 20 psi.

I also have 500 gal. storage and using Extrol tanks (two) a 60 and 40 for the storage. My psi. runs just over 20psi. when at 170+ temp.

yah, it's simple physics. When the water expands, it goes into the tank. But, unfortunately, air is camping out in that tank. So the water puts the squeeze to the air and the air gets mad and kicks back at the water, but all that does is put a little extra pressure on the water, which keeps on flooding into the expansion tank.

How's that for a nice little explanation. :)

Anything less than 30 psi is OK, I think. Mine generally gains about 5 psi (from 12 to around 17) from cold to hot, but sometimes it climbs to around 20.

deerefanatic said:
yah, it's simple physics. When the water expands, it goes into the tank. But, unfortunately, air is camping out in that tank. So the water puts the squeeze to the air and the air gets mad and kicks back at the water, but all that does is put a little extra pressure on the water, which keeps on flooding into the expansion tank.

How's that for a nice little explanation. :)

Excellent and easy to understand!

Status
Not open for further replies.