EKO 60 Installation and Operating tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver 1991

Aug 28, 2008
Northern NY
New to the boiler room. I'm looking for any tips/suggestions that you guys might have that will help me with my installation and operation of my new boiler. I'm Installing my boiler in a wood shed 100' from the house and plan on using it to heat approximately 5000 sq ft. Any comments and suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Welcome to the forum and to the boiler room.

There are a few good threads here on fire starting techniques and general care & feeding of gasifiers. Many folks here have EKO boilers, so there are a few EKO specific threads as well. One issue that's cropped up a few times is the settings for the primary / secondary air settings. Sometimes wrong from the factory. Worth your while to poke around a bit.

Any comments and suggestion would be greatly appreciated
With 5ksq.ft your gonna need plenty of well seasoned wood. I would keep a couple of years ahead. Have you done a heat loss on your home ?
Will

I Have not done a heat loss calculation. My House is new construction 4 yrs old with radiant heat. I have used approx. 700 gallons of fuel during the past heating seasons. I have most of my wood for this year I'm working on wood for next year.

Silver 1991 said:
I Have not done a heat loss calculation. My House is new construction 4 yrs old with radiant heat. I have used approx. 700 gallons of fuel during the past heating seasons. I have most of my wood for this year I'm working on wood for next year.

I used about 600 gallons per year for heat, and I use about 4 cords per year now instead. Of course, I'm keeping it warmer :)

Silver 1991 said:
Have you always had the heat storage? I plan on adding storage down the road. Thanks for the info.

I didn't have storage for the first season. I used less wood that year, but I ran the boiler for less of the season. Had a lot more temperature variation in the house, and ran out of hot water from time to time. For me storage didn't make a huge difference in efficiency, but it sure made a difference in comfort and convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.