Eko 60 new install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatFarmer

Sep 22, 2011
Montville, Maine
It's been a few months since the Eko 60 arrived. Unfortunately it had to sit outside until I could get the radiant slabs in the barn poured. It is now resting near its new home while I sheetrock & finish wiring the mechanical room. Meanwhile I have been hunting down all the parts. I have still not been able to find a suitable storage situation. I gave up looking for dairy bulk tanks and 1000 gallon propane tanks as they just seem 1)too expensive 2) too large for my cellar bulkhead and 3) just not readily available. Because my boiler is going in an attached ell of the house--probably the former carriage "house" part of the barn--and the storage is going in the cellar under the main heat load, I have had no end of trouble making my plan work smoothly. I am dreading the crawlspace under the kitchen and first room of the barn as it is inaccesable except from the cellar and a long crawl, and it's a very low, cramped 75 feet. I've all but given up looking for 2 500 gallon propane tanks. After following countless leads and making many phone calls, they just aren't around in any distance I can travel easily in 1 day, nor does it seem cost effective to go further afield for the system I am hoping to put in in the space I have to install it.

I thought I had radiators for the house figured out this week, as well..... Went to a place with 1000's of cast-iron radiators which they re-build and paint. I made my selections, was quoted a price, cleaned, painted and tested, worked out my budget, made many adjustments and sacrifices and left feeling like another piece of the puzzle was complete. However, when I got the quote today I had to call them up. They obviously were looking at the wrong pile of radiators..... nope. They were mine and they wanted almost 3 times as much as I was quoted. Yup...the old bait & switch. The owner said one thing, the invoker/money person another. And no, they wouldn't honor the verbal quote from yesterday. So....back on the market for radiators. Convinced now that we will go with european panels like I originally was going to do anyway. They will sit flatter against the wall & not eat up as much floor space, won't cost quite as much, and come with a warranty I can believe in.

As soon as I am done with the drywall and fish the pipe & power through the crawlspace I'll put the boiler closer to where it will sit and begin making connections. Any advice/ pictures on how best to hook up an Eko 60? Thinking of running one loop to an HX in the storage tank and feeding all of the loads off of this as well. Unfortunately this also means running quite a bit of pex back to the boiler room to connect to the radiant slabs in the barn and workshop from the storage tank. Fortunately if I use 1/2" pex for the home runs on the radiators I will have plenty of 3/4 left to run back to the barn. I used the 3/4 for the slabs.

Attachments

• EkoInstall2.jpg
    EkoInstall2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 299
  • EkoInstall1.jpg
    EkoInstall1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 300
  • EkoInstall3.jpg
    EkoInstall3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Eko1.jpg
    Eko1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 296
  • Eko2.jpg
    Eko2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 300
I just posted in your original thread my pressurized storage with heat exchanger diagram. Here is a pic of my tank setup. I bought the tanks with fittings installed from Mark at AHONA. This includes a 4" fitting for the heat exchanger which was installed in the top 4" fitting.

I need a little more heat than my radiant floor supplies in two rooms of one zone (they are basically the only outside corner rooms so the loss is more than I planned). I am looking at adding some bathroom towel bar radiators behind the door which will also serve as a towel/drying rack area.

Good luck with your install.

Attachments

• StoragePiping.jpg
    StoragePiping.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 296
I know where there's a 1000 used in southern NH/ MA area.

A friend got me two 500s from the same guy. If you are interested, send me a PM.

JP

@Hunderligger Thanks for your two replies. They are very informative. My radiant slab system is mainly to keep my shallow foundation from heaving....It also has the added benefit of keeping my shop and workspace a bit warmer in winter. If I had the head space in my house for a stacked tanks I would definitely go with it, but there is no where tall enough to carry it out unfortunately. Most everything I am doing with this system is a heavy compromise due to existing house size/conditions/shape and budget limitations.

@JP11 A PM Has been sent. Thanks!

HeatFarmer - daunting and exciting. Be cautious in sizing your boiler supply and return lines, as well as feed line mains to other areas. You will need to do pump head calculations based on equivalent pipe length and gpm's to provide needed btu's. An Eko 60 is 205,000 btuh, and if it was me I would use 1-1/2" main lines to/from storage and in a primary loop, if any. Zones likely will be different, but same principals apply. If you use unpressurized storage, also be cautious in sizing your heat exchanger. This is an area were it is easy to make a mistake. Get that heat on! Our night temps are now into the low teens.

I saw your other post. Rules of thumb at 20F delta-T: 3/4" - 40,000 btuh, 1" - 80,000 btuh, 1-1/4" - 140,000 btuh, 1-1/2" - 220,000 btuh. I would want the Eko to be able to deliver its full load to storage, optimally as storage starts to move above 160F return temperature. 1-1/4" is quite marginal here. 1-1/4" + 3/4" is better, but you will have to balance the flow to about 4 gpm in the 3/4" and about 14 gpm in the 1-1/4".

Your also show 3/4" to your radiators and to your in-floor, that's about 40,000 btu to each. Is that sufficient? What equivalent pipe lengths to each? What pump head? Size your circulators accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.