EKO 60 Online & Full of Problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Farmer for now I would let circulate thru the boiler since your room is not well insulated. Good insurance to keep from freezing. Tighten up and insulate the room this summer. A member here found an inexpensive high temp controller for the stack temp with a display. This will shut off the Eko when the fire goes out to avoid wasting heat. This winter the flaw in the Eko controller will actually keep your boiler hot for few more hours. Will post that item when I find it. FYI, those with Tarms have a firebox sensor that senses when the fire goes out I believe.

huskers said:
Farmer for now I would let circulate thru the boiler since your room is not well insulated. Good insurance to keep from freezing. Tighten up and insulate the room this summer. A member here found an inexpensive high temp controller for the stack temp with a display. This will shut off the Eko when the fire goes out to avoid wasting heat. This winter the flaw in the Eko controller will actually keep your boiler hot for few more hours. Will post that item when I find it. FYI, those with Tarms have a firebox sensor that senses when the fire goes out I believe.

This is pretty much what I've figured on doing....

I actually have the Controller & everything to hook it up...have to do it. But I have one question which has come up since I've been burning, in fact I was going to start a new thread about it: What sort of flue temps should I be seeing?

I was going to set the controller to turn everything off at a given cool flue temp, but as I've been sensing my stack I'm only running around 230º at the hottest inside the flue. The little magnetic flue thermometer I put on the outside only ever shows 180º, but I think it's wrong. Nevertheless, most of the time while the boiler is gasing I can put my hand on the flue...but not for too long :)

I will hold off doing this until I'm better insulated & sealed up...my goal for tomorrow is to build a couple of tighter doors to actually seal this end of the barn off from direct exposure to the outside.

Question #50067....

What the heck is going on with my storage? Yesterday I managed to load it up to 185º and it was down to 168º this AM. I wasn't going to burn the boiler today because it was supposed to be warmer, but I decided because my panel rads are working so well to keep this house warm at 160º input that I'd better keep the thing cooking..... However, and despite a 3 hour power outage today (This is another adventure I may relate in a thread as I was searching for some way to power my boiler to keep it from overheating.....) I have only managed to bring storage up to 179º in 12 hours with no real change in anything. The boiler has been running at max & idling most of the day. I've only had to load it a couple of times with some minor wood. And I've had to rake the coals over the jets a few times.... The temps even sat at 203º a few times. What the heck is going on? Could this still be a problem with air in the lines? Or is this just the way of it?

How may gpm are you moving between boiler and storage?

If I don't move enough gpm my boiler will climb to set point and idle until the temp drops, it will then repeat the process. It could also explain your slow transfer rate if you are moving low gpm.

That low of stack could be wet wood?

Or maybe your air is turned down to the point that your output is way low?

Gg

goosegunner said:
How may gpm are you moving between boiler and storage?

If I don't move enough gpm my boiler will climb to set point and idle until the temp drops, it will then repeat the process. It could also explain your slow transfer rate if you are moving low gpm.

That low of stack could be wet wood?

Or maybe your air is turned down to the point that your output is way low?

Gg

I *did* have the taco 0010 turned down to 1 or 2 for a while today....Guess it should be left at 3. I have no idea what my head is, so I'm not sure my GPM.....if the taco hadn't come with the system, I'd probably have an Alpha in such a crucial spot......

My wood is in the 22% range, except for the stuff I'm starting up with.
The air should be good because my gasification is blue & forceful with a 60% fan speed...... But I do have quite a lot of bridging happening from time to time, and low coals over the nozzles often.

maple1 said:
Could very easily still be an air pocket.

yeah, my thoughts too. I added another panel rad today and bled a bit of air out purging it. But with the few leaks I have I've got to add water at least once a day so I have some kinds of pressure going around the system.....

Not to mention the water I had to add to the system to cool the boiler off when the power went out & I couldn't find my inverter & a charged battery & had to hook the thing up to my truck......

I would turn the dial down to 185 or so until you have all the bugs worked out. That way you have a little more time if something goes wrong before the boiler starts to overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.