EKO ambient heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
I'm installing my EKO 25 in a shed about 60' from my house. Was wondering how much ambient heat comes off the sides of unit? The reason I'm asking is I have enclosed the boiler shed with the left over SIPs (Structural Insulating Panels) from the house construction. Kind of afraid that the shed is going to be insulated too much and the room is going to turn into a sauna. Might have to leave a window or door cracked all the time or put benchs in.
Bob

It certainly puts out some heat, but the sides are insulated. My boiler room is about 12x13 with an open door to the rest of the basement. It never gets hot at all - maybe 5 degrees warmer than the basement. It's nothing like a woodstove.

I'm surprised it doesn't give off more heat, I didn't realize the sides were that well insulated. Well our barn cat will still appreciate any warmth she can find.
Bob

My 40 doesn't seem to give off much heat. More seems to come from the bare piping than the actual boiler. There is no such thing as too well insulated! You can always crack the door, but the bench idea is better.

I even leave the top cover off occasionally to get some heat in the boiler shed, even that does not help much. I may have to spend some money on a small coil in there.

does any one have a vent or opening in there sheds to let air in to replace the air the boiler is useing?

henfruit said:
does any one have a vent or opening in there sheds to let air in to replace the air the boiler is useing?

I did not get that detailed yet, the shed is not sealed by any means. The more sealed and insulated the boilerbuilding is, the more you have to rely on an air intake. Do a search for this and as far as I recall we had a thread about that last winter.

henfruit said:

My wood fired boiler is in the cellar. I have a dryer hose connected to the air intake to let outside air directly into the fire chamber. Just that change warmed the cellar by 3-4 degrees on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.