EKO/BioMax Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rreihart

Aug 2, 2007
Central PA
The controller on my BioMax is a model RK-2001UA. Its very similar, maybe even identical to the EKO. The manual says that terminals #1 and #2 on the back can be used with an optional module to fire an additional boiler if there is no fuel. Anybody have or better yet use these terminals? If so what is the output when there is no fire, 24V? I think I'll check it out tonight and see what I can find out, but some of you may already know.

Thanks, Rob.

Mine's an RK-2001, too, but I don't have it hooked up that way. That controller is supposed to do lots of neat things. Let us know what you find out. The EKO manual that Zenon has for download on his website goes into some detail on the controller, but I'm not sure it covers that. I don't think the BioMax manual says much about the controller.

RK-2001E. I'm using it as it came 'out of the box'. Seems like some experimentation might be in order, though.

I have an oil boiler plumbed in parallel with my EKO. I have a manual switch and some other logic that disables the oil when the wood if active.

I didn't find anything on terminals 1 and 2. I set the no fire parameters to one minute and watched for an output through the terminals. The fan shut off after a minute and the fuel alarm displayed, but I didn't see any type of voltage output. I then thought maybe they were a contact that would open or close, but found no continuity before or after. The manual talked about testing the output. However as I scrolled through the parameters that output never came up. Is it possible that the controller needs to see the optional module? If no one has any thoughts I suppose I'll check with Zenon.

rreihart said:
I didn't find anything on terminals 1 and 2. I set the no fire parameters to one minute and watched for an output through the terminals. The fan shut off after a minute and the fuel alarm displayed, but I didn't see any type of voltage output. I then thought maybe they were a contact that would open or close, but found no continuity before or after. The manual talked about testing the output. However as I scrolled through the parameters that output never came up. Is it possible that the controller needs to see the optional module? If no one has any thoughts I suppose I'll check with Zenon.

Sounds like you need more definition - a manual would be nice. Perhaps it mimics a thermostat and will present a contact closure only with a house sensor connected and reading lower than the setpoint?

In a similar situation, I used a bimetallic switch (available in different temperature settings for a few bucks) that would close when the temp dropped below a certain point - sort of a poor man's aquastat.

Status
Not open for further replies.