EKO BSPT or NPT threads?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donl

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Ontario
For those of you who have EKO boilers, how did you resolve the issue of going from British threads on the input/output 2 inch pipe to NPT threads?
I have been trying to find a BSPT to NPT adapter but no luck so far. Just a few laughs! Does anyone know where such a thing can be found?

As I understand it the BSPT 2 inch pipe is 11 tpi and the NPT is 11.5 tpi. I know some have just used a NPT threaded pipe and it appears to work. I don't want want to do that fearing leaks or the potential of stripped threads.

How did you do it?

Don

DON, I also have a EKO 40, 2 inch NPT threads worked for me without problems. On my 2nd year with no leaks. Keith Jandreski

My 60 took regular NPT 2" threaded connections with no problem. Tape, dope, tape if there's any doubt.

I have a Tarm with British threads, which I think are basically straight threading like a bolt or nut rather than tapered. Tarm supplied a twine-type cord to which you rubbed in a thick pipe dope, and then wrapped the NPT male fitting, polishing off with a little more dope over the wrap. Worked like a charm, no leaks.

Andre B. said:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Put part number 4888K199 in the search box for 2" galvanized, 4778K199 for black.

Merci beaucoup Andre. Exactly what I was looking for.

Don

Don L said:
Andre B. said:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Put part number 4888K199 in the search box for 2" galvanized, 4778K199 for black.

Merci beaucoup Andre. Exactly what I was looking for.

Don

I placed an order this morning for what I needed and shortly after received this Email from the company.

" Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you."

Damn!!! I doubt U.S. export regulations have anything to do with this. We are talking black pipe fittings here. Probably has more to do with vendor to vendor business courtesy. I'll keep trying else where. Just may have to use 2" NPT like most others.

If they have long-established customers in Canada, maybe one of them is a distributor and you can buy it from them.

Eric Johnson said:
If they have long-established customers in Canada, maybe one of them is a distributor and you can buy it from them.

Eric,

I did ask them for a referral but have not got a response yet. I did find a Canadian supplier of BSPT to NPT adapters but only up to 3/4" Their price for those were ridiculously high. If they had 2" I would probably need to take out a mortgage.

First time post for me. I've been sitting on the sidelines for sometime. Hopefully I'll be able to add to discussion once in awhile.
Your problem is the same thing I just went through albeit with tubing connections which in which I found a BSPT to NPT adapter through Parker fittings. I think I would steer away from trying to connect incompatible threads on a pressure vessel. My thought would be make your own adapter by welding the two different threaded pieces together. A BSPT threaded pipe should be obtainable.

Welcome to the Boiler Room, steam man. It would be nice if somebody made a wood-fired steamer.

Are you north of Millinocket?

Thanks-I am IN Millinocket-the Maine guy with the Black Bear boiler is a friend of mine who lives close by mentioned this site. I just inspected his set up. I work on steam ships exclusively with a primary interest in combustion control systems. I have been planning and slowly building my own integrated wood-solar-oil to pool, space, and DHW heating system.

Wood burning steam boiler?-nothing time and money can't solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.