EKO controller temp. flipping up and down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
Does anyone else have problems with the temp reading on their EKO controller flickering/flipping up and down. Usually this is not a major concern EXCEPT for when the temp is flipping above and below certain set points such as when my circ. pump clicks on or the max. temp and the fan starts to turn on and off in rapid succession. Worried about wearing out the pump and fan with all this quick on/off.
Has anyone figured out how to prevent this? Doesn't seem to happen all the time, but haven't seem to correlate it to anything yet.
Thanks,
Bob

What are your hysterisis settings (e.g. Ph). I have my pump come on at 165 and am trying a new 5 setting (off at 160). I was at 15 (off at 150). Longer pump cycle but longer revoery and mre range for the firebox. Too early to tell yet if it makes a difference.

I'm still at the factory settings which I think is turns the pump on at 140 or 145. The problem is when when the boiler is heating back up after the fire has died down and say it's at 138 and then the readout/display starts to flicker and I think it's going from 138 to 140 back and forth really quick can hardly see the numbers changing but you can hear the pump clicking on and off.

My temp never flickers --it moves up or down steadily. Almost sounds like you have a loose connection.Also check the temp sensor for the controller to see that it is fully in contact with bare metal on the top of the boiler.

hummm loose connection, that sounds like a possibility. The temp sensor is on located on the top of the unit correct? This is going to seem like a silly question but how do you get the skins off the sides and top. Tried once before (trying to run some wires) and after taking a bunch of screws out nothing loosened up enough to remove. Is there some sort of clip that I have to give a little tug to pop?
Thanks

On mine I just pulled the controller out the front and was able to reach in there,I have the newer style with grey sheetmetal.Dont know about the older ones if thats what you have.Also the temp probe is on the top like you said,its supposed to be under the insulation and held down tight against the metal with a small flat spring clip.Mine was in there loose to begin with and I got inaccurate temp readings until I moved it tight under the clip and covered it with insulation.

Well I have the older style with the green sheet metal. Couldn't reach the temp. probe by just removing the controller so I figured out how to take the top off. Once the top was off I found the probe properly installed under the clip and tight to the top of the boiler. So that isn't the cause of the display flickering up and down on the temp. Checked the wires going into the back of the controller and they also seem tight.
Anyone else have any suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?
Thanks

Still having the problem with the temp flickering up and down. This time the problem was on the extreme high end. The boiler was reaching it's max set temp and I think it start flickering and it must have flipped up over the max temp. and triggered an E2 code. This was last night and I woke up to cooler than expected house this morning. I'm pretty sure the boiler did not actually over heat since the house was cool since we were away for Christmas so all the zones were calling for heat, there was no idleing which would allow it to over heat.
Any ideas?
Bob

How long is the warranty on the controller? I purchased the boiler in the summer/fall 2008.

Was the connection loose right at the probe or on the back of the controller. I looked at the probe and it seemed to be held nice and tight to the top of the boiler. But now that I think about I didn't look/pay attention to the connection of the wire to the probe. What kind of connection is there?

If your probe is in good shape its probably the connection on the controller. You can wiggle the wires to find the spot of the problem because when you do find the area the numbers on the controller will really dance around.

For me I had an over heat one time and it cooked my probe pretty good. it melted the rubber insulation right up next to the metal part of the probe. This caused the wires to touch each other and create an error. I cut the wires and wire nutted them back together. since I did not solder them, every now and then the loose connection of the wire nuts caused my controller to dance around just as you are explaining.

So if you find no problems on the connection to the controller, your probe may be faulty. Be sure there is not any little hair wires crossing over at your controller, sometimes the insulation was trimmed back to far and allow them to touch each other.

Barnartist,
Thanks, I'll check the wires over tonight to see what I can find. Sounds like you were having the same problems. That's why this site is so great you can always find someone who has gone or is going thru the same problem.
If it is the probe I assume I should be able to find one of those probes pretty easy???

Is your power "clean" good connection, good ground. 120 volts, not running through an inverter, etc? I witnessed this phenomena once when running on a generator and once when running a modified sine wave inverter.

Barnartist,
Well last night I poked and prodded around and the numbers were flipping all around but it didn't seem better or worse in one spot or an other when I was touching/bending the wire. I cut 4-5" off the end and reinstalled on the back of the controller and that didn't help either. I'm wondering if it is a bad probe?? But $45 bucks for that thing you have to be kidding. I wonder if I could go to any HVAC supplier and get something similar? Is there something special in that temp probe or are they all the same??
Fred61,
You bring up a good point. Yes I do have my boiler plugged into an inverter/charger with an auto switch. I'm no electronics expert but the way I understand it should be running on reg. house power until that goes out then it should switch over to the inverter/battery. Tonight when I get home I have something else to check out..... I'll unplug it from the inverter and directly into the wall outlet. Kindof hope that isn't the problem since then I won't have backup power to run the pump.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Sounds like a faulty probe-no other problems with the controller right? If you cant make it "dance" on purpose it would seem to be inside the sensor area of the probe.
Double check that price but I think it was that much. I would think Granger or some other supply house would carry a heavy duty probe that should work, I dont see why not. Be sure the company has a good return policy just in case it's not the probe.

I searched around in past threads and it looks like the temp probe is a pt-1000. Does that sound right to all those people who know about this stuff.
I found this one on line. What do you think is this the right style/model. Looks very similar to me but then again I'm a forester not an elec. engineer. :)
http://www.siliconsolar.com/pt1000-high-temp-sensor-p-502163.html
Not a bad price $8.76

easternbob said:
I searched around in past threads and it looks like the temp probe is a pt-1000. Does that sound right to all those people who know about this stuff.
I found this one on line. What do you think is this the right style/model. Looks very similar to me but then again I'm a forester not an elec. engineer. :)
http://www.siliconsolar.com/pt1000-high-temp-sensor-p-502163.html
Not a bad price $8.76

I think I bought mine from newhorizon for less than 10 each shipped.

Fred61 said:
Is your power "clean" good connection, good ground. 120 volts, not running through an inverter, etc? I witnessed this phenomena once when running on a generator and once when running a modified sine wave inverter.

I unplugged the boiler from the inverter/charger and still had the same problem with the numbers flipping wildly up and down. So that wasn't the issue but atleast that was easy to check.

Taxidermist,
Well that price doesn't sound too bad and I'll be sure that I'm getting the proper sensor. Thanks think I will order one today. We'll see if that fixes the problem.

I would order the other one you listed and try it. I would think any good 2 wire thermister would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.