Eko gasser and baseboard heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I have an eko 40 gasser, and I have been heating my house through in-floor heat for several years now. We are going to be finishing our basement soon, and I will need to add heat there as well. In-floor is not an option, as the floors are concrete, and we really don't want to put a raised subfloor (or at least raised enough to accommodate pex) and give up the head room. I am considering and have enough wall space for baseboard heaters. Does anyone have any experience with heating with these tied into a gasser? I run my water temps around 170 if that helps. Are there any brands to look for or suppliers of such baseboards that anyone can recommend? Comments?

170 would be high enough IMO if the area is insulated. My partially uninsulated 100 Y old house gets the water temp turned up to 200 suppling baseboard copper finned radiators, in the coldest part of winter but 170 should be fine.

Another option is cast iron baseboard. Expensive but looks more high end than finned copper. Also one of those kick panel heaters, essentially an enclosed radiator with a fan ,but they can be noisy. If you inventive and can find a way to hide a big cast iron radiator,that can serve as a small heat sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.