EKO Install Complete - UPS Selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the first thing to do while looking for an inverter, especially for a boiler, with pumps and fans (induction motors), the need of a Pure sine wave inverter is a must. It's more expensive, but I think it's the way to go.

I do not have a boiler yet. But I've been reading and getting educated on basic back-up system with grid-tie in inverter and renewable, I am looking at a minimum of 3000 watts that could feed the basic (Frdige, freezer, Boiler fans, pumps, controllers, camputers, a few lights and tv). As far as water goes, i have a surface well and I am planning on installing a cheap 12v pump (RV style, self priming, pressure control) to have water at home.

Xantrex is a big company with a lot of inverter possibility , but I"ve heard (Reading through diffrent forums) that with the time there overall quality and costumers service is getting really poor. Xantrex are making some 240 units. I think a lot of the xantrex units are not servicable.

Sunny Island is a US based company with (I think) manufacturing in the US, seems like a top of the line units with a good servicable product and great costumer service.

Outback are making some good unit too with a lot of possiblity ( I think you can stack them for more power and 240).

IT all depend on where you want to go and what you want to do. There is some charger / inverter. A bigger charger good be a great plus in a extended outage if you want to charge de system while the genny is running and beign sure your batteries are top out within a few hour, wich won't happen with a trickle charger. As far as battery goes, sometime you can get ''used'' batteries for cheap that are still good for a back up system .

Thanks for the recommends on Sunny Island and Outback, Fi-Q. I think I did see those names when I was looking around ebay. I've got a Coleman gasoline generator that puts out 240v, but I'm sure with a square wave, or at best a modified square wave. Do you know any inverter can convert that 240v square wave directly into a sine wave so the Coleman would be more useful in an extended outage. It would be nice to have one inverter that could do both tasks, work off batteries or the gas generator. Maybe I could just charge the batteries as they are being used with the Coleman, using a bigger charger as you suggest.

We had two extended outages lasting days here, one just a few months ago, so I want the same items you mention up and running, especially the boiler and well. I was afraid the run the well pump with the Coleman last time after reading problem people on this site had with their circ pumps using less than a pure sine wave.

Mike

Mike, you coleman may give you some not perfect power, but basic generators are putting out sine waves, may not be pure with some harmonics, but it sure ain't square waves. Get a kill o watt to monitor your power. There is tons of thread here about genrators. And some other forums have tons of generators info ( thinking o travtor by net).

I'd be pleased to find out it does put out a sine wave. I couldn't tell by reading the instructions. They mentioned using some sort of in-line filter for certain electrical devices. I'll call the company and see what they say, or find a kill-o-watt. Thanks for that piece of good news Fi-Q.

Mike

Little late on the reply but I just finished installing my Battery backup solution for my Biomass 60. I have used a Xantrex 600 watt pure sine wave inverter, Xantrex Inline Transfer relay that automatically switches over to the inverter when power goes out. I used an Exide AGM type battery for the source power. I keep a trickle charger on this continuously. This setup runs boiler, circulators, and zone valves. I have gone through 2 APC UPS units since I originally kept them in the outbuilding with the boiler but have found they have an operating temp or 105 degrees and my building can get over that especially in warmer weather. I now keep this setup in the basement of the house.
Why did you choose the Xantrex over the cheaper models? It runs about $160 and others are much cheaper.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.