EKO install trench

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
Going to be laying my dual pex-flex in the trench from my house to the EKO 25 boiler (about 60') this weekend. Plan on also running a water line and two UG electric cables (incase I want two different circuits out there). My question is do I need to run some low voltage wire? And if yes does that have to be in conduit or can I do direct bury like my UG romex?
Thanks,
Bob

If it were me, I'd bury one or two empty black plastic pipes for future needs. The stuff is really cheap and you can pull whatever you want through it. We just finished pulling Cat5 Ethernet cable out and pulling fiber through the pipe that we buried between my brother's house and mine.

Nofossil,
Thanks that is a great idea, I think 100' of 1" tubing is $30. Much easier than digging a new trench.
Can someone who has done an outside installation tell me if I need to run low voltage wire to the EKO?
Bob

Use U.F wiring which is meant to be burried and not deteriorate

I think it depends if you are running just the eko or if you are using storage. If you are running just the eko you hook your thermostat to the eko to tell it to come on and shut off. I have storage but I still ran it out there just incase I need it for something( house phone thermostat ect.)

Rob

I purchased some of the grey direct bury romex wire. I called it UG it might actaully be UF.
I'm planning on starting off using just the boiler and then in a year or two upgrading to storage.
So it sounds like I will need to run some low voltage out there. Thanks.
Bob

If possible I would burry 2 tubes, one for high voltage and one for low. With the pex in between. I would still put the cable in the tube for ease of servicing in the future and just suck a light string in the spare tube for future use, it needs to be strong enough to pull a rope to pull the wire. ( don't be cheap on the lube to pull wire through the black pipe)
If you don't use it now, you will find a use for it in the future ;-)

Good idea to run a couple of circuits - run large enough wire so you can have a 20 amp circuit and maybe even a 3 wire for future use.
Run a couple of 2" or 3" plastic pipe, most places call it water pipe and comes in rolls of 100 and larger lengths. When you run low voltage wire it does not need to be burial rated , when you pull the wire thru pull a couple of extra wires and a pull string for future pulls. You may find it's easier to seal the wall if you have an individual hole for each tube going into the house if it's a below grade enterance.

Status
Not open for further replies.