EKO is Leaking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mwk1000 said:
I would like to know how this was handled ? How did it turn out ? Imagine my concern when I opened my EKO 60 last night to load wood and saw a pinhole stream of water leaking from the rear. After looking at the photos I and reading this thread it looks like I can report my 1 Year old EKO has the exact same defect! The leak is spraying from a location about 2 mm (say 28-29 min on a clock face ) from the same point on the rear exhaust vent. I also saw slick look and wrote it off to creosote or the fact that I had to use damp wood alot last march/april. Seem silly in hindsight but I'm new to boilers

I'll get some pics as well but it's more than a bit frustrating. Can if be surface welded from the inside while full ? I imaging that will pull away the heat and make a poor joint. I have 50/50 glycol that was not cheap in the boiler segment.

You can isolate your boiler by shutting off the two closest shut-offs and drain off enough 50/50 to get it below where you need to weld...use very clean buckets and you shouldn't get any contaminates in it and then just re-use it.

Call your distributor now. Do not wait. My distributor handled my warranty claim very well.

I have called Dave at Cozy Heat and he was very good about it, Said Get it fixed and send me the bill we will cover it.

Thanks to my friend Jeff an excellent welder I am back in business. We suspect that having two people with leaks in the same spot may be because the weld is thinner than it should be at this point. It is probably the most rapidly heated weld when starting fires-- the heat always hits that spot pretty hard from cold to hot the fastest. Just a though for the EKO folks to beef it up there.

Attachments

• eko_weld_1.jpg
    eko_weld_1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 225
  • eko_weld_2.jpg
    eko_weld_2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 226
  • eko_weld_3.jpg
    eko_weld_3.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.