EKO Maintenance Tip of the Day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
If you have an EKO Super, which is to say any EKO sold in the United States over the past year, then you can get better access to the bottom hx tube openings when cleaning ashes by simply moving the hx cleaning handle. Since the turbulators move up and down in the heat exchanger tubes when you move the handle, there is a position where the front set blocks access to the space directly under the tubes.

To do this, push the hoe-style cleaning tool to the back of the secondary burn chamber/ash pit until it stops. Then, move the cleaning handle and see if you can't push the tool in farther. If you can, then by moving the handle you've lifted the front set of turbulators up enough to allow the tool in for a more thorough cleaning.

If this isn't a clear description (too early Sunday morning), then have somebody move the handle while you look into the back of the gasification chamber with a flashlight. You'll see what I mean.

I pulled a couple quarts of really fine, powdery ash out of that area in mine the other day--ash that I assume had been accumulating there for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.