eko----New Controller

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
Just got done installing the new controller. First impressions are good.
Number one: It reads in F.
Number two: You can adj temp up to 195f with out fooling the controller with a resister.
number three: You can set up alot of different settings to adj to your situations.
I'll be giving more info as I play with it.
enclosed is the settings you can make.
leaddog

Attachments

• RK2001UA.jpg
    RK2001UA.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 678
appreciate the time you took to scan and post. THNKS
Bill

Looks like the same settings as the BioMax. We have about the same size storage. I found that unless I disabled the "Fd60" setting and set "Fb30" to something like 2h I would get the FUEL message (boiler shutdown) while charging a cool, 100-120 degree, tank. Unless the boiler reaches the set temperature at some point the second FUEL setting doesn't have any effect. The manual doesn't show it but you can disable either of those settings by scrolling to "--" and hitting ok.

I was going to ask you Leaddog if you ever got it. The image with the chart is a little hard to see.
Can you adjust the boiler shut down temp? Id like to be able to shut down a little sooner so I have some good coals left for the next load.
How much did it cost again? And is it already 110 or will I still need to use a converter?

I can email you the pdf of the manual for that controller, Scott or, if anyone is interested I can post a link to download it.

$249 is what I was quoted by Dave at Cozy Heat. The manual is in the mail, Scott.

barnartist said:
I was going to ask you Leaddog if you ever got it. The image with the chart is a little hard to see.
Can you adjust the boiler shut down temp? Id like to be able to shut down a little sooner so I have some good coals left for the next load.
How much did it cost again? And is it already 110 or will I still need to use a converter?

Sorry about the chart being hard to read but it's out of the pdf file and I had a hard time trying to get it so I could post it. By the time I got it small enough to post it was blurry.
I'm still playing with it but The default is the boiler must reach the set temp with in a certain set time and then it will maintain that temp. If it doesn't it will shut down within a set time. This morning I had a boiler about 1/4 full and it had shut down. Lots of coals for a restart but not what I wanted. I'm going to play with the settings and see what works for me.

I don't know the cost yet as Dave hadn't sent the bill but I read here that it is going to run about $250.

Yes it is 110v and I'm not sure but you need to check out your fans as they may be 220v and that would cause a problem. The new ekos have 110v fans but I haven't checked the old one. If the fans are 220v you could connect the stepup transformer after the controller as they would be the only thing needing the 220v??????

I'll post more as I learn
leaddog

termite said:
Looks like the same settings as the BioMax. We have about the same size storage. I found that unless I disabled the "Fd60" setting and set "Fb30" to something like 2h I would get the FUEL message (boiler shutdown) while charging a cool, 100-120 degree, tank. Unless the boiler reaches the set temperature at some point the second FUEL setting doesn't have any effect. The manual doesn't show it but you can disable either of those settings by scrolling to "--" and hitting ok.

How do you disable fd60 and how do you set the 2h or 4h. I tried but all I can set is from 1 to 99 minutes. It would be nice to be able to set it to 4hours on a cold start. Some times these Polish Manuals are hard to under stand. Otherwise I really like the controller so far.
leaddog

leaddog said:
How do you disable fd60 and how do you set the 2h or 4h. I tried but all I can set is from 1 to 99 minutes.
leaddog
On mine there is a "--" setting below "1". That disables each respective fuel test completely. Also above 99 are 2h, 3h, 4h.

barnartist said:
Control update Dog....

I love it EXCEPT mine can't disable or go above 99min on the fireing time. Talked to Zennen and Dave and they are sending out the latest one. For some reason it wasn't programed in this one so I'm waiting. I'll keep you all posted when I get it. Other wise I'm really happy with it as it gives me more control and is easyier to set. Plus it reads in F and goes up to 195F.
leaddog

barnartist said:
does that mean after 99 minutes and your not up to temp, it shuts down?

Yes that is how the one I got worked as it wasn't programed right. You are suposed to be able to program it up to 4hr to reach temp but this one would only go to 99min. I got around that by turning the knob down to a lower temp after I fired it up and fooling the controler into thinking it had reached temp. Then It had 99min to reach with in 15* of the set temp. Thats why they are sending a new one. I hope to have the new one today. I'll give update with in a couple of days.
leaddog

thats good to know... I dont want it to shut down with wood in there like in the past. That is one reason I woory about my change to more storage and restarting from a lower water temp.

Up date on the controller.
I got a replacement from Dave and it is the RK-2001W. It is the same except it has some other controls for DHW. This solved the premature fuel shut off. It is just what I needed. It reads in F* , Modulates the fan as it comes up to heat, heats up to 195f, controls the pump as it comes up to temp, and many settings that you can customize to each situation.
The first controler I got wasn't programed with the disable and 2h-4h settings on the fuel times. In reasearching On the Polish site that makes them I found that they make alot of models of controllers for boiler makers and The one that I got was one of the first ones of that mod. If you get one it should be ok now. Dave also sent a manual of a later mod and it looks like they modified the burn setting so that the boiler had to increase boiler temp 5* with in the set time or it would shut down. That sounds like a better indicator of fuel. It sounds like these controlers will be available as soon as they come in.
The controller that was the replacement has an extra temp lead for DHW but I haven't figured out if that is any use to me. The only manual I could find was in Polish and when I got it translated it was still Polish. It is the same as the RK-2001UA except for that extra probe and the RK-2001UA is the one you want.
Bottem line------I feel that it is a worth while upgrade if you want to run your eko to higher temp. It is easier to read because of F* and you can set the modulation time and setting of the fan and Pump. Also with some expermenting you can adjust it so it will shut down with some coals to make lighting a new fire easier. That would have to be a trial and error for each person and setup but with the adj. possible it can be done.
leaddog

does the eko controller fan modulation controlled by stack temp,or water temp, talk of a initial ramp time for fan i assume to get fire up to burn temp, is this monitored by stack ,or full burn till up to water temp, i dont want to hijack thread ,maybe you could reply on the garn modulation thread thanks tom

barnartist - I noticed your name was referenced as Scott and that your located in Ohio. Are you the artist featured in TSC's magazine?

TCaldwell said:
does the eko controller fan modulation controlled by stack temp,or water temp, talk of a initial ramp time for fan i assume to get fire up to burn temp, is this monitored by stack ,or full burn till up to water temp, i dont want to hijack thread ,maybe you could reply on the garn modulation thread thanks tom
The fan modulation is controled by the water temp. You set the point in relation to the end temp that you want the fan to start to slow down and as it reaches that temp is slows down there by not go into idle. Every thing is controlled by the water temp.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.