eko new (to the us) draft fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - I don't think that the draft inducer could provide the suction needed, and control of the fire would be an issue.
Also, you would want to make sure that your flue connections were completely airtight - the positive pressure the inducer creates in the pipe can cause smoke and fine ash to leak out of any joint not sealed. Trust me, I know.

There are systems out there that use negative pressure to create the gasification, but these have been engineered for that purpose, and I suspect that the motor on the draft fan is more robust and better isolated from the flue heat than the EKO drafr inducer.
The inducer does make it a breeze to start fires, though!

I put the new gasket on my eko 25 and decided to hold off on the additional expense of the draft fan and so far I have had 0 issues with the smoke smell. I do have plenty of draft with a 2 story chimney though. I guess I am saying give the gasket a shot before you pull the trigger on the draft fan especially if you have a good drafting chimney. You may save yourself 150 beans.

shoeboxlen said:
I put the new gasket on my eko 25 and decided to hold off on the additional expense of the draft fan and so far I have had 0 issues with the smoke smell. I do have plenty of draft with a 2 story chimney though. I guess I am saying give the gasket a shot before you pull the trigger on the draft fan especially if you have a good drafting chimney. You may save yourself 150 beans.

True story....but the draft fan is more of a fix for "smoke while loading" than it is for the leaky door seal, me thinks. At least that's why I bought it. I can stand and roast marshmellows in the upper chamber now with no smoke in the house....should I be in the mood for marshmellows.

I hear ya as long as I dont leave the door all the way open for an xtended period I do not get smoked out. I just crack the dorr an inch or so when I first open it up to load let the draft get moving open the door throw in some wood close it down to the inch opening and releat as needed. my little trick nothing great but saves me some $

Status
Not open for further replies.