1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Eko: Puffing and Purge cycle question

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Nofossil, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    For those of you with the newer Eko controller (or any other gasifier with a purge cycle for idling):

What experience have you had with different purge timing? Reason I ask is that I'm experimenting with controlling combustion temperature by modulating the blower speed. Problem is that with a fresh load on hot coals, the combustion temp gets well above my setpoint, and the fan ends up running at minimum speed for a long time. This causes 'puffing', and I expect that periodically running the fan on high for a few seconds might be the solution.

How often should you run a purge cycle, and how long should the fan run each time?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    My Econoburn is set for 20 second fan cycle every 15 minutes.

gg
  3. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    I run mine for 30 sec every 2 min to keep it from really puffing
  4. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    That gives me quite a range - I'll do some tests over the next few days and report back.
  5. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I set mine the same as Taxi's but I havn't played with it, try to avoid idle, especially with full load. It's always a pleasure reading your posts Nofossil, I've read this site since 2009, good scientific method to burning wood gets the best pyro in all of us going.

TS