EKO - Reposition Temp Sensor???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhearts

Jun 12, 2008
Syracuse NY
I have an EKO 40. Here is my issue. The read out on the EKO display reads 195 degrees. The actural water output temp is measured by an industrial thermometer in the output pipe and reads 185. There seems to be a consistent 10 to 12 degree difference. So I am really only heating the water to 183 to 185 degrees. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Have you repositioned the temp probe on the EKO in order to hear elimiate this delta? Any suggestions???

If you have a 10-12 degree difference try putting a 100k resistor in parallel with the sensor. To get a smaller adjustment use a higher resistance. I think 200k will change it around 5 degrees F.

Just pop your controller out, remove the leads for the sensor, twist the two ends of the resistor around the ends of the sensor wires and put them back in. It is a pt1000 temperature sensor so you can look at the tables for one and see what the parallel resistance will do at your normal operating temp.

I'm using a controller and two way valve to only let the water flow when it gets up to 183 degrees. I have a 3/4 inch bypass before this valve that goes back to the boiler supply. I have a older eko 60 with the old controller that only reads in Celsius and it shuts the boiler down at 80 Celsius. I played with the sensor location for a while to get lower readings so that I could reach my desired temps. You have to be careful as you don't want to move it so far that your boiler reads to cold as this will make it idle at low temps. I ended up moving mine to on top of the boiler insulation but in a location where the is a hole in the insulation with the probe half way above the hole.

SROB I like the idea of moving the temp sensor to make the EKO move hotter water..Off the subject I also have the old controller and of course the old boiler how many pices of removable curved concrete do you have in the old EKO 60 is there 3?? Dave

TacoSteelerMan said:
SROB I like the idea of moving the temp sensor to make the EKO move hotter water..Off the subject I also have the old controller and of course the old boiler how many pices of removable curved concrete do you have in the old EKO 60 is there 3?? Dave

Mine has two pieces and one thin curved back piece. Back to the moving sensor - it takes a while to get the balance you want as just a little movement away from the jacket makes a big difference. Also, be patient as it takes a while to read a new temp.

OK ,,,I took the easier path and tried moving the sensor. I have moved it 3 times to try to narrrow the temperature difference over the past month or so. I do not like the results I am getting. Even thought the is now about a 2- 3 degree difference. I get the E2 code( overheat code) way more than I used to. Since the sencsor is not as responsive now that it is relocated off the metal water jacket the boiler can get enought thermal momentum up and continue to experience and heat rise even after it shuts off at 195.

I went out today and bought the 100 K resistor to narrow the 10 degree delta. I will be back to a more stable controller reading of the temperature and the temp reading will not flutter and fluxuate.

I repositioned mine - I strapped it to the steel outlet pipe, and covered it with foam insulation. I did that to get quicker response to changing water temperature. My own controller measures temp at that point, and it was driving me crazy when the EKO controller would be responding out of sync with mine due to temperature lag.

I have mine on the outlet pipe also. I have to put a small piece of fiberglass insulation between the probe and the pipe to get it to see similar temps. I then have the entire pipe insulated well. I use a pipe clamp to hold the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.