EKO RKU-2100 Controller Stop Switch Failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatFarmer

Sep 22, 2011
Montville, Maine
It's been iffy for weeks, but today my EKO Controller Stop switch failed, which means I can't get it out of Fuel Mode.

Anyone else have this problem before?

I took the controller apart to see if there was something loose, but no..... Nothing apparent, and nothing which suggests I could jerry-rig and bypass the faulty switch. Apart from that, the controller has served us well.

Any suggestions on how to proceed. Thank God it's March and the weather is above freezing, but I still need to run the boiler in a few days for hot water.......

I'd suggest you buy a new one either from New Horizon or your local dealer. Shoot, buy two.

On the EKO I see the blower and the controller as the only two risk items in terms of operations. We can make our own nozzles and refractories if required. And the rest of the unit seems to be pretty well bullet proof.

I plan to order a replacement controller and blower someday soon even through mine are still working fine after 5 seasons. I hate spending money when I really don't need to but this is something I've wanted to do for a few years now...

The controller should be under warranty.

But If you need heat immediately an old extension cord and a couple wire nuts should get the fan going for you. The controller might still turn on your circulator or you might need to get a second extension cord...

/legal disclaimer

This is not safe. You will have to babysit the boiler to make sure nothing overheats.

Thanks for the replies....

What makes the AHONA controller different than the PWKEY one? I've also noticed that both the AHONA sold controller and the newer version of the RK2100 both have lower set points on boiler pump launch temp--160deg instead of 170.... not a huge change, but a bit annoying since 170 helps keep heat in storage longer.

Meanwhile, I have temporarily fixed my controller by taking it apart and putting it back together again.... Found out while it was in pieces that there really isn't much to fix on the faulty switch--tested it with a meter and found it still worked for the most part. I blew quite a bit of dust out of the unit. Put the whole thing back together again and it works fine now that it's powered up....When in doubt.....

The AHONA one is not PWKEY.Launch temp can be set any where you would like it to be.If you have storage and hold your launch temp till 160 and then let it go,what happens to all that hot water when it hits storage.It gets diluted to a lower temp.

How much is a new controller from AHONA???

Status
Not open for further replies.