EKO -vs- Econo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been debated here several times.
1. They're both green
2. The econoburn is made in the USA
3. EKO has a longer track record
4. I think the EKO has a better control ( variable speed fan)
5. Dunkirk- the parent company of Econoburn is a great company
6. Econoburn is made in the USA
7. Econoburn has a "beefier" handle
8. I've heard some econoburn users have had issues with the mechanism to clean the heat exchanger tubes
9. Econoburn is standing behind their product & taking care of these issues
10. Econoburn is made in the USA

Hope this helps
BTW I have an EKO- no regrets

If you enter each of the boilers you are looking at in the search box, near the top of the screen, you'll get a listing. Any threads listed will have those keywords. There are even quite a few threads directly discussing the two lines head to head. There are also threads that compare those brands to the Tarms, Wood Guns, Wood Doctors, Seatons, Greenwoods, etc...

You get the picture.

Chris S said:
. . .

. . .
. . .

Anyone here from a country other than USA? If so, curious if people where you live buy things based on where they are made.

Nothing wrong with buying local - when the quality and price are close. But buying 'local' sometimes . . . how much were US Autoworkers making per hour back in the mid 80's, back when GM's were good for about 70,000 miles?!? :roll:

Chris S said:
This has been debated here several times.
1. They're both green
3. EKO has a longer track record
4. I think the EKO has a better control ( variable speed fan)
5. Dunkirk- the parent company of Econoburn is a great company
7. Econoburn has a "beefier" handle
8. I've heard some econoburn users have had issues with the mechanism to clean the heat exchanger tubes
9. Econoburn is standing behind their product & taking care of these issues

Hope this helps
BTW I have an EKO- no regrets

Are you sure about EconoBurn being connected to Dunkirk boiler? I assume you mean Dunkirk Boiler?

hr

in hot water said:
Are you sure about EconoBurn being connected to Dunkirk boiler? I assume you mean Dunkirk Boiler?

hr

he's very definitely correct on that-- I've confirmed it when I have asked Econoburn some questions

Build and design quality on my just-delivered Econoburn 150 is superb- and I am not easily impressed when it comes to those aspects of most products.

my conversations with Econoburn VP Mark Odell a few weeks ago when I had some tech questions (how many companies have their VP get on the phone and patiently/ graciously spend time answering a non-pro end-user's questions) confirmed, not only in terms of Mark's manners, but also in terms of some ongoing/ future design development, that this is a good company, and is highly likely to be sticking around and going places

I've been pretty impressed with Mark and the whole team there as well. They seem totally committed. Nice people, too.

HR,
I was told by a rep at a trade show that Dunkirk was the parent company of Eonoburn. two very differnt prducts/ processes obviously, but we've had good luck with Dunkirk Cast iron, that's what I based that comment on.

As for made in the USA, all other things being equal I think a lot of people myself included would rather buy American. But I'm not sure if all other things are equal ...yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.