Eko vs Varm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Negative. I didn't buy anything yet.
Jason - I rad your post last night and you reminded me of me. I purchased the indoor boiler as a hobby, taking the effort put into wood I could easily use that energy at my regular job and make a lot more than I ever could save in heating. That being said I still think it was the right decision. It is a "lifestyle". Tracking down the free wood, moving it, splitting it, building wood sheds, excuse to buy a tractor, get outside when my wife is screaming at the kids, bring the kids outside with me. Today they each have a splitting wedge and a 4 # hammer in the basement, they love to come down and split wood while I load the boiler and then they fight over who gets to use the ax. They each have an old ATV tire that can hold wood upright for them. Last year I learned that holding wood for 2 7 year olds at the same time was a bad thing waiting to happen (to my fingers):). No regrets on the decision and as my boys get older (8 year old twins) I hope this becomes a big part of their world as you stated in your objectives. By the way attached is a photo of what happens when my wife leaves me alone with 8 year olds. There is more to life than ROI, today's ROI was listening to my whole house generator while I drank a cappuccino and roasted some more coffee:). I am as cheap as they get but we need to enjoy life as well, I think you had a great vision - if you still have it pursue it! Of course I would recommend an Effecta:).

Attachments

• Chopping.JPG
    Chopping.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Coffee.jpg
    Coffee.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: huffdawg
All good points John. Glad to see your boys helping out and spending time with dad. That's awesone! Hopefully when they get older they will have the wood bug as well and keep the tradition going.

As far as my situation goes my boys are 3 and 17 months so I have some time before they get an axe in their hands. Talking with Dean, a 55, 1000 gallons of storage and everything else but pumps was over 11k. That's a little hard to swallow. I'm looking at a 1 seasoned used g100. Alot alot less than the varm. Dowside is I won't be heating dhw in summer. But the savings financially is a trade off I'm willing to do.

All good points John. Glad to see your boys helping out and spending time with dad. That's awesone! Hopefully when they get older they will have the wood bug as well and keep the tradition going.

As far as my situation goes my boys are 3 and 17 months so I have some time before they get an axe in their hands. Talking with Dean, a 55, 1000 gallons of storage and everything else but pumps was over 11k. That's a little hard to swallow. I'm looking at a 1 seasoned used g100. Alot alot less than the varm. Dowside is I won't be heating dhw in summer. But the savings financially is a trade off I'm willing to do.
There is no doubt, high quality indoor gasser with storage is not cheap. IF you research some threads on "total project cost" you will see what happens what others have experienced. Personally I do not burn to heat DHW only. No matter what, that introduces heat into the house when you are trying to cool it, I don't want to keep wood so close to my house when it is warm (bugs, etc.), don't want to wheel wood over my grass if I don't stack it by the house and just a good time to take a little break to focus on some wood gathering, splitting or whatever. Since I do it for fun, I consider it seasonal like skiing. Good luck and if you keep your eyes open you never know what you might find, I sold a 1 year old Effecta 35kw with a loading pump for $4k (I think)- so good deals are out there.

There is no doubt, high quality indoor gasser with storage is not cheap. IF you research some threads on "total project cost" you will see what happens what others have experienced. Personally I do not burn to heat DHW only. No matter what, that introduces heat into the house when you are trying to cool it, I don't want to keep wood so close to my house when it is warm (bugs, etc.), don't want to wheel wood over my grass if I don't stack it by the house and just a good time to take a little break to focus on some wood gathering, splitting or whatever. Since I do it for fun, I consider it seasonal like skiing. Good luck and if you keep your eyes open you never know what you might find, I sold a 1 year old Effecta 35kw with a loading pump for $4k (I think)- so good deals are out there.

Good point on taking a break during the "off season". The g100 I'm looking at is about 4k. So that's not too bad. Hopefully I can get over there next weekend.

Reactions: JohnDolz
Good point on taking a break during the "off season". The g100 I'm looking at is about 4k. So that's not too bad. Hopefully I can get over there next weekend.
Good luck and enjoy!

I believe the Heatmaster G 100' are approved for indoor use. Where you planning on putting it in a building, or did you consider it?

Jason - I rad your post last night and you reminded me of me. I purchased the indoor boiler as a hobby, taking the effort put into wood I could easily use that energy at my regular job and make a lot more than I ever could save in heating. That being said I still think it was the right decision. It is a "lifestyle". Tracking down the free wood, moving it, splitting it, building wood sheds, excuse to buy a tractor, get outside when my wife is screaming at the kids, bring the kids outside with me. Today they each have a splitting wedge and a 4 # hammer in the basement, they love to come down and split wood while I load the boiler and then they fight over who gets to use the ax. They each have an old ATV tire that can hold wood upright for them. Last year I learned that holding wood for 2 7 year olds at the same time was a bad thing waiting to happen (to my fingers):). No regrets on the decision and as my boys get older (8 year old twins) I hope this becomes a big part of their world as you stated in your objectives. By the way attached is a photo of what happens when my wife leaves me alone with 8 year olds. There is more to life than ROI, today's ROI was listening to my whole house generator while I drank a cappuccino and roasted some more coffee:). I am as cheap as they get but we need to enjoy life as well, I think you had a great vision - if you still have it pursue it! Of course I would recommend an Effecta:).

I've burned wood since 1959 at my hunting cabin and in 1970 I started heating my home with wood. Over the years life and work changed many times which moved me to different locations but always in the northeast. It wasn't always easy, especially when in the years I was self employed but I was committed. I have been successful enough to afford any heating fuel but I liked wood.
I had a friend that always told me that he wouldn't do wood because harvesting and processing could lead to injury or death. One day after work I went to the wood pile and he jumped on his motorcycle for a ride and was broadsided by an 82 year old woman. He didn't make it. Due to age and health concerns I have decided to stop burning wood when my present stash is exhausted which is a little more than three heating seasons if I make it that far. During this period I will be choosing and installing a fossil fuel unit that will match my heat distribution system as it has evolved since I started with the eko. Something simple that my wife can handle.

Reactions: flyingcow
So now here is my new dilemma. I found a brand new never used attack dpx 45 on craigslist and I've been talking to a heatmaster dealer about a 1 season used g100. Both are about the same price (asking). I know with the attack I'll need tanks and such, so there's some extra cost. But I won't need heat exchangers per say as with the unpressurized g100. I'll use about 50' less pipe with the attack.

The plus for the attack is I can coast on these days that are warmer but still need heat. The minus is the cost of tanks and piping needed to get it all together.

The plus for the g100 is its just the cost of the boiler and a few other things to make it work and I'm good to go. The minus is on these warmer but cold days it will idle alot or I'll have ro shut it down when it's too warm and fire it back up at night. Or just not run it at all.

Just not sure what to do.

So now here is my new dilemma. I found a brand new never used attack dpx 45 on craigslist and I've been talking to a heatmaster dealer about a 1 season used g100. Both are about the same price (asking). I know with the attack I'll need tanks and such, so there's some extra cost. But I won't need heat exchangers per say as with the unpressurized g100. I'll use about 50' less pipe with the attack.

The plus for the attack is I can coast on these days that are warmer but still need heat. The minus is the cost of tanks and piping needed to get it all together.

The plus for the g100 is its just the cost of the boiler and a few other things to make it work and I'm good to go. The minus is on these warmer but cold days it will idle alot or I'll have ro shut it down when it's too warm and fire it back up at night. Or just not run it at all.

Just not sure what to do.
Not sure how much cost you are factoring in on top of the cost of just the boiler but based on my costs (and others that I have seen posed around here) using some repurposed propane tanks will not add very much (%) t the total cost of the project. If that is the way you want to go I would not let the tank cost deter me,

My propane tank for storage was cheaper than most of the other control items; like a pressure relief valve or a zone valve.

Storage is a game changer for some people related to convenience and efficiency.

My propane tank for storage was cheaper than most of the other control items; like a pressure relief valve or a zone valve.

Storage is a game changer for some people related to convenience and efficiency.
I completely agree on both points:

* by using storage and mixing to use low flow temps, I almost forget to go start fires
* the cost of the tanks ended up being a small piece of the total pie

Not sure how much cost you are factoring in on top of the cost of just the boiler but based on my costs (and others that I have seen posed around here) using some repurposed propane tanks will not add very much (%) t the total cost of the project. If that is the way you want to go I would not let the tank cost deter me,

IF I go with new (repurposed) tanks from smokelessheat it would be about $2800 for 2 500 gallon tanks with all the fittings already on them and the system to stack them. I'm sure if I looked around more I could get some tanks already done for less....maybe. I only want to do this once so I really want to think it through and not second guess my decision 5 years down the road.

IF I go with new (repurposed) tanks from smokelessheat it would be about $2800 for 2 500 gallon tanks with all the fittings already on them and the system to stack them. I'm sure if I looked around more I could get some tanks already done for less....maybe. I only want to do this once so I really want to think it through and not second guess my decision 5 years down the road.

PM me, I have a guy in PA who sells reconditioned tanks of all sizes, CHEAP. My friend bought two 500 gallon tanks for $700, I hope this is the year I do storage too.

PM me, I have a guy in PA who sells reconditioned tanks of all sizes, CHEAP. My friend bought two 500 gallon tanks for $700, I hope this is the year I do storage too.
Business might pick up if you advertise for him. Is it OK if I PM you for contact info? I've been hunting local but no hits yet.

Business might pick up if you advertise for him. Is it OK if I PM you for contact info? I've been hunting local but no hits yet.

I thought the same thing and didnt type his name or number for fear that he won't have any when I call him.

Reactions: flyingcow
Status
Not open for further replies.