Elbow chimney around sofit / gutter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckdeuce

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2008
Western, PA
Planning on installing a new stove using a throught the wall kit. Problem is that there is an 18"' overhang on the roof where the sofit is not to mention the gutter. Is there any way of usingsome 45's to elbow around the sofit? I would hate to cut through and do it the "Right" way, as this home is an 18th Century Victorian and I really don't want to change it. Thanks

The right way, IMHO, is to keep the pipe inside. Unless the pipe is enclosed in a chase, it's not going to look right on the side of an old victorian home. And it will function better if a fully interior flue. That said, the pipe could run through the soffit, honoring 2" clearances, or the soffit could be boxed to permit the required clearances.

BeGreen said:
The right way, IMHO, is to keep the pipe inside. Unless the pipe is enclosed in a chase, it's not going to look right on the side of an old victorian home. And it will function better if a fully interior flue. That said, the pipe could run through the soffit, honoring 2" clearances, or the soffit could be boxed to permit the required clearances.

Yeah.... I agree. No real option to keep it in the house and put the stove in the location we want. As far as how it will look..... I also agree. Might have to box it in at some point, but was hoping to do it right the second time because I am way over budget on the restoring of the home, and just using gas this winter will break me.

No way to angle it around? Do they even make DW or TW pipe in 45's?

No, only 30s for class A and they are not cheap. Go straight up through the soffit or box the soffit for the cleanest installation. Post a picture if it helps show more issues you are concerned about.

BeGreen said:
No, only 30s for class A and they are not cheap. Go straight up through the soffit or box the soffit for the cleanest installation. Post a picture if it helps show more issues you are concerned about.

Not sure box "Box the Sofit" consists of? Is there a way to adjust the main support that get mounted on the outside of the house? Pulling it the additional 18" away from the house will allow it to be on the outside of the gutter. Do they make wall supports that will extend that far out from the house?

Thanks again for you time helping me out.

Chris

I put up an exterior chimney and used 2 30º elbows to go around a 14" soffit. That was with a 24" pipe connecting the two elbows. My chimney ended up being 3" from my brick. I am getting excellent draft, even in these warmer temperatures. You could probably get around with a longer angled pipe, say 36" or 48". As someone else stated, the 30º elbows are expensive, moreso than a 48" piece.

ckdeuce said:
BeGreen said:

Not sure box "Box the Sofit" consists of? Is there a way to adjust the main support that get mounted on the outside of the house? Pulling it the additional 18" away from the house will allow it to be on the outside of the gutter. Do they make wall supports that will extend that far out from the house?

Thanks again for you time helping me out.

Chris

Boxing the soffit means cutting out a rectangular section of the soffit, often between two rafter tails, then enclosing the open sides of the soffit to finish it off. If you are going to chase the chimney later this is the way I'd go. That way no roof flashing is required for the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.