elbow in stove pipe and chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandi630

Oct 2, 2008
Eastern PA
We are planning the installation of a wood stove in our house. We are have a terrible time trying to find the right place for it as far as clearances are concerned. Right now we've decided on a corner in our mudroom. The problem lies in a second story deck we have approximately 8ft from where the stovepipe will exit the house. We are planning on putting the stove in the corner and running the stove pipe up and over as far as we can go approx. 8' and then through the wall. One we exit the wall into the duravent "t" can we use a 30 degree chimney elbow and appropriate section to get us the other 2' over in order to make the 10/2 clearance. We can't extend the chimney past the second floor deck because the mudroom is only one story and there would be nothing to attach it to.

Thanks - Sandi

I maybe a bit slow but I'm having a hard time visualizing your proposed install. You are going 8' up inside, then a 90 elbow, through the wall, then another 90 elbow and then how far up the exterior wall? Is the chimney going to be lower than another part of the house thats in relatively close proximity?

It's my house and I have a hard time visualizing it! We would have to go from the top of the stove over (from the stove) with stove pipe about 3 ft. and then yes, through the wall. The chimney would be lower then the rest of the house but the house is more then 10 feet from where the chimney would be. The problem is the second story open deck. The deck will be about 8 feet from where the chimney exits the house through the wall. Essentially we would have to put another elbow in the chimney to move it over far enough from the deck so we don't have to go 2 ft. higher then the roof of the deck. What do you think?

Sorry it's so confusing.

Doesn't sound good to me. I think you might have troubles on heat distribution also.

I would go back and look at the house with new eyes. Think and talk your wife into the prospect that the new stove could be the center of your living space. If you get the right one they are a beautiful addition to the decor. Think about it on a cold winters day and your family is congregated around the heat and light show of the stove. I think many people miss the boat and cause difficulties for themselves when they try to stick the stove out of sight. A good soapstone stove might seduce you and the wife.

Pardon me Sandi630. I did not mean to sound patronizing. I still feel a new approach to the position of the stove in your lives is warranted. Peace

I would have to agree with fire honor, I spent a lot of time measuring and looking inside and out of my house before starting the install, and I am still running into issues with unknowns that i found after i cut into the drywall, and started my chimney up thru. I think one thing for sure I have found out with my research is, there is no one way to install a stove due to the many, many differant homes, stoves, needs, time the home was built, construction style, modifications to the home thru the years, and so on. I had only 2 choices of stove location that would work for my home, and no matter which way i do it, it will be creative in a safe way... good luck, and some pics of the situation would be very helpful to visualize...and by no means am I an expert in any fashion with the stove installing process, I am a carpenter so I got a lil help to my side, but still lots of stressful times so far with the install.... LOL, definately not cut and dry, no pun intended.....Good luck...

No problem! We originally were planning on putting it in the living room but decided that the mudroom may be a better option. We will be able to run some duct work from the ceiling of the mudroom to the second floor. We think it may actually heat the second floor much better in this area. Our living room is pretty small and we already have 2 big cast iron radiators in 2 of the corners. So....we are hoping we can find a way to get it in the mudroom.

I made a figure of what we were thinking. Not to scale and please pardon my depth perception!!!
thanks for your help!

Attachments

• piping figure.jpg
    piping figure.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 354
Now I see what you are doing...

You are over the distance for clearance to combustibles, you are working for good draft now right?

Is the second floor deck enclosed? The 10' rule is from clear obstructions of air flow I thought. I would try to run the pipe straight (or near straight) up through the 1 story mudroom ceiling and have a couple sections of pipe on the roof with a roof bracket.

Then again, I am BRAND NEW to this stuff (still installing my stove and chimney) so someone else needs to chime in!

We have slate roof and would rather not mess with it......AND if we went straight up through the roof from the stove we would be about 6 feet from the second story deck. The deck does have a roof on it. I think the 10' rule is for anything combustible but I could be wrong....

I think you are wrong.

Are you 10' from the pipe to the wall?

So go out the side and straight up. I think you are fine once you meet min flue heights based on the stove.

But, Someone else MUCH MORE experienced needs to say so too. Just my opinion.

hmm.

The National Fire Protection Association standard #211 states:
"Chimneys shall extend at least three feet above the highest point where it passes through the roof of a building, and at least two feet higher than any portion of a building within ten feet"

confusing, but I am almost certain they are talking about draft. your double wall pipe is closer than 10' to the surrounding drywall when it passes through the wall.

Just my thoughts...

I have to agree with burning chunk, acording to my reading of my stove and code, and it seems thje same as what he wrote. The rule I beleive is for draft, and of course safety. once you go out side of the home you will be running double or triple wall chimney pipe til it ends and is capped, but it must be aove the highest point of the roof. I can appreciate your concerns with the slate roof, not quite as easy as asphalt shinlges to work with. Let me ask you this if you went strait out the wall how close would it exit to the side of the porch roof?

Sandi630 said:
I am the "wife" !!

LMAO!

Sandi, there aren't large number of women posting here, and the guys here are used to blaming lots of stuff on "the wife" in a friendly sort of way. Don't pay it any mind. They're good folks and give tremendous advice.

(PS I can't even begin to visualize what you're describing. Any chance of even a stick figure sort of diagram with X's and O's or something?)

gyrfalcon said:
Sandi630 said:
I am the "wife" !!

LMAO!

Sandi, there aren't large number of women posting here, and the guys here are used to blaming lots of stuff on "the wife" in a friendly sort of way. Don't pay it any mind. They're good folks and give tremendous advice.

(PS I can't even begin to visualize what you're describing. Any chance of even a stick figure sort of diagram with X's and O's or something?)

Sorry. Ignore that. I hadn't seen your diagram yet.

with the double or triple wall pipe you only need a minimum or 2 inches of clearence to combustables(aka. chase, roof material etc..) and you must go above the highest point of the roof at least 2 feet, I believe. I hope this helps. my entire chimney is going right thru my home located on 1st floor, 2nd fllor attic, and then out the roof. same premice (spelling) just on the outside of the home. Are you planning on putting a chase arround the chimney on the outside? or just running the pipe? and as fire honor says LOL, all cars are ladies and all ppl on fix it up forums are men, right? LOL, but the wife LOL usually makes the decisions in my home, I trust her opinion more than mine... LOL the tim the toolman effect we as guys are all prone too...LOL

OK - so essentially the chimney has to extend 2 ft above any roof or building that is within 10' of the chimney. That is why we were planning on moving the stovepipe and chimney over so we are at least 10' from the second story deck. Does that make sense?

I thought I did too. Then I got confused by a couple of posts. ....
So my original question. Is it ok to move the stove and chimney pipes over using elbows?

code master as in "building dept. inspector?" I called them looking for the code. They don't have one. Install per manufacturer's instructions. I understand that but there are some gray areas with the stove pipe instructions. I.e. bends and such.

Thanks for your help thus far!! Please keep the advice coming!

sincerely
the "wife" lol

LOL, what i was saying in my post is the same thing you are thinking, but kinda goiong closer to the deck, where it would exit the wall, so you dont have all those crazy bends to try to clean, and let alone appearence.. the key to the roof top is to be above the roof line by 2 feet. are all the roofs of your home at the same height?

Status
Not open for further replies.