Elbow to stove collar connection is there a non-permanent gasket or silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moondoggy

Oct 29, 2007
Long Island NY
PICKED UP MY VC INTREPID!
heres where i'm at..
flexliner/wrap all installed in chimney.
hearth versa bond dry, grouting tonight.
still got to make a backplate.

my set up:
Flex liner-- to-- adjustable 90degree elbow --to-- stove collar.
the Elbow to FLEX connection is just above the backplate. so back plate will surround top section of elbow.
other Elbow end is the corrugated end, when i attach it to the stove i am worried it does not seal tight. if i hold the flood light in front of the stove i can see light through the corrugated lines out the back.

i have tubes of black 2000 degree furnace goo that i was using for the back plate.
but that seems very very permenant, and now i start thinking how the hell am i going to clean
the flue pipe if its cemented in and the other connection is on the opposite side of the backplate.
my options are nil.

is there another something else I can use to make the Elbow to stove collar connection.... like a gasket or silicone?
something that can be removed and re caulked/ sealed when needed?
cant use another section of pipe.

thanks all

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I dont belive you need to seal this connection. It should be a fairly tight fit and if it were to leak at all, the draft from the chimney would pull air into it, not leak smoke out.

the stove only allows me to insert the elbow roughly 3 inches.
the long grooves in the elbow are much longer then that so air can seep through every groove. there are like 50 corrugated groves.

"the draft from the chimney would pull air into it, not leak smoke out"
even when i first light? i really dont want to permanently seal the elbow to the stove. but i dont want the chance of stuff entering the house.

moondoggy said:
the stove only allows me to insert the elbow roughly 3 inches.
the long grooves in the elbow are much longer then that so air can seep through every groove. there are like 50 corrugated groves.

"the draft from the chimney would pull air into it, not leak smoke out"
even when i first light? i really dont want to permanently seal the elbow to the stove. but i dont want the chance of stuff entering the house.

Measure the space available in the flue collar and then trim the bottom of the elbow so that the bead on it fits down on the top of the flue collar.

hum, dang its so simple. i wonder if that would do it. i dont think the grooves run the full first section of the elbow.
wish i was home to check.
that might do it.

can't wait to burn... few more days.

^^^That stuff and you can run a little lip of cement around the inside before you insert the pipe, you can always scrape it down later if you need to. If you mix the cement with a little water so it is thinner it'll spread out easily.

ok home now, i can cut an inch off the corrugated side and that should work.
i need to get a new hacksaw blade tomorrrow. my airplane shears are not cutting the elbow.
thanks guys.

moondoggy said:
ok home now, i can cut an inch off the corrugated side and that should work.
i need to get a new hacksaw blade tomorrrow. my airplane shears are not cutting the elbow.
thanks guys.

Aviation snips should cut that stuff like warm butter.

not the ones i have.
they cut the 26 gauge aluminum sheet no problem but not the elbow.
they wouldnt cut the flex either, used a utility knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.