Elbows - inside or outside house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snosurfa7

Mar 25, 2009
VA
Need some advice on wood stove/chimney pipe placement.

Given an unfortunately placed upstairs window and layout of my house it looks like I'll have to put some elbows in the stove pipe and/or chimney. Two story house, not an option to run up through a second floor bedroom and through the roof so it will be mostly an outside chimney install.

Will definitely have a 30 degree elbow to get around the eave outside.
Will definitely have at least a 90 degree elbow into the thimble inside and then another 90 degree at the t outside going straight up the house.

Will likely also need two 30 or 45 degree elbows to get the pipe around the upstairs window (don't want a chimney right in front of the window). Is it better to run these inside the house or outside?

One can only use a 15 or a 30 deg elbow in the chimney so if possible do the offset inside the house so that the chimney goes up as straight as possible. Be sure the mfg. permits the use of their chimney elbows outside (some don't) and lock the offset joints.

I'm not sure why some don't allow it. If they are properly supported, I can't see any issues. I guess it's for liability issues, simply because they weren't tested for outside use. So just make sure the manufacturer allows for it to be on the safe side.

I doubt you will find 45 degree elbows. Code calls for max offsets of 30 degrees. You could look into a system with adjustable stand offs that would allow you to clear the eves. This would avoid one set of elbows.
45's exist, even though they are class A they are only for gas and oil use.

Reactions: mepellet
Status
Not open for further replies.