Electric backup for in-floor heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stefan66

Nov 26, 2010
ThunderBay Ontario
Thinking of using a tankless electric water heater as emergency backup
Anybody have any experience using something like this?
I"m thinking of using a Seisco SH11

No experience with it, but I have read elsewhere that using them for space heating can void the warranty. No idea the validity of that, but its definitely something to look into.

Also, make sure that it could handle the flow rate you want to push through it. If its too high, you wont get the temp rise you need/want out of it.

Sizing is important, but there is no reason why you can't find one that will work. I run the in-floor in my garage on a Takagi T-KJR natural gas flash water heater.

You'll want to use an electric boiler, not a water heater. I use the Electro brand, they're pretty reasonable as long as you can get by with less than 36,000 btu.

maybe slightly more than a tankless electric water heater, but not much for what you're getting.

karl

Status
Not open for further replies.