electric base board heat to supplement a room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No no guys, it's way easier. You have thermostat now that is a bimettalic one with a knob. The old style. Just replace it with a new one that is a digital set back thermostat made for line voltage. I did this replacement in my kid's room and they work great. No relays, or wiring anything in series, no seperate timers, no new wiring. Just need to replace the old cheapo stat with a modern technology stat. Modern stats such as this can do just about anything you want them to and are available at regular hardware stores, I bought mine at a chain called McLendons.

...digital setback...

My brain tends to head in one direction or the other ... thanks for moving us back to modernity.

Highbeam said:
No no guys, it's way easier. You have thermostat now that is a bimettalic one with a knob. The old style. Just replace it with a new one that is a digital set back thermostat made for line voltage. I did this replacement in my kid's room and they work great. No relays, or wiring anything in series, no seperate timers, no new wiring. Just need to replace the old cheapo stat with a modern technology stat. Modern stats such as this can do just about anything you want them to and are available at regular hardware stores, I bought mine at a chain called McLendons.

are you saying you replaced your wall tstat?
i think he is talking about the tstat that is mounted to the unit which does not have any numbers.

Yep, I meant the t-stat on the baseboard itself. I'll take some pics this weekend.

We use an Electrical Heater as a supplemental source, and we are totally pleased
with it. We are currently enrolled in a "Time-of-Use" Electrical Savings Plan offered
by our Utility. When we use Electricity during designated "off-peak" times, we only
pay 5 cents/KWHr, versus 25 cents/KWHr during "on-peak". Typically, "off-peak"
encompasses overnight hours, which would work well for you.

When we figured our heating expenses, it would actually be cheaper to heat our house
with Electric on "off-peak" times, than to use Propane at over $2/gallon.

Check w/ your Electric Utility - they may have a similar plan that works for you.

Skier76 said:
Yep, I meant the t-stat on the baseboard itself. I'll take some pics this weekend.

Oh boy, your little stat on the heater? I've never dealt with that. All of my wall heaters are capable of running with one of those built in stats but they are instead controlled with wall stats that are simply in the line between the power panel and the heater.

Yikes. If it were me and I wanted that room to be heated on a schedule and to different temps at different times of day then I would wire a wall stat in line and turn the unit's built in stat to full high.

We've used the $30 110v oil radiators in the kids bedrooms the last couple years, and they work great for supplemental heat (bulk of the heat comes from the woodstove, kick in the gas stove as necessary). But the upstairs tends to be a little chill (60F upstairs, 70F downstairs) and particularly for the 2yr old, it does a nice job of bringing his 10x12 room up (if the door's closed). And that's on "medium" - 1000W.

Steve

Steve said:
We've used the $30 110v oil radiators in the kids bedrooms the last couple years, and they work great for supplemental heat (bulk of the heat comes from the woodstove, kick in the gas stove as necessary). But the upstairs tends to be a little chill (60F upstairs, 70F downstairs) and particularly for the 2yr old, it does a nice job of bringing his 10x12 room up (if the door's closed). And that's on "medium" - 1000W.

Steve

those oil filled radiators are the best. i recommend them to everyone. they are very safe also. perfect for a kids room that you don't want to get burned. stick the heater in a corner put a bureau in front and the kid can't touch it. adjustable wattage, if you have the door closed most times the 600 watt rating will do. the perfect heater. the only thing that they are missing is the actual temp setting on the dial.

Status
Not open for further replies.