Electric Boiler in an open system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rotaxman

Mar 13, 2009
west quebec
I'm going to use an electric boiler is an open system with an OWB and would like to hear from others that are doing the same.
I talked to the tech support at Thermo 2000, thats the brand I am considering. He said that even though I am voiding the warranty by using it in an open system, he thinks it will surpass the warranty of 10 years.

If you're using an electric boiler in your system with an OWB, how's it working so far and what have you done to keep from damaging your electric boiler.

Wow.....that was one heck of a salesperson response there - "even though your warranty will be worthless, I'd go for it!".....

rotaxman said:
I'm going to use an electric boiler is an open system with an OWB and would like to hear from others that are doing the same.
I talked to the tech support at Thermo 2000, thats the brand I am considering. He said that even though I am voiding the warranty by using it in an open system, he thinks it will surpass the warranty of 10 years.

If you're using an electric boiler in your system with an OWB, how's it working so far and what have you done to keep from damaging your electric boiler.

A couple questions....I'm thinking your going to use the electric boiler (hot water heater?) as a back-up for the OWB? If this is the case then a couple things to consider...the electric water heater will keep things from freezing but depending on your heat load, you'll need a really large one with high output to keep everything hot enough to heat if your OWB dies. If it is just for back-up with no real intention to having to use it (i.e. long extended vacation) then it would be cheap insurance even if you have to replace it every 10 years. More info desired to really help you in that decision making.

My original plan was to use a water heater that would heat one zone, the basement, where the heat load is 16K @ 25 below 0 C. and I have a high effeciency wood burning fireplace that is easily heating my home at the moment.
We just finished building our home and we're a little behind schedule which includes the construction of our OWB. The new plan is to use an electric boiler that is capable of heating the entire house on it's own but this would also be used while away on vacation and during early fall and late spring once the OWB is in full service.
The electric boiler will not be heating the water that is in the OWB which will be isolated when the electric boiler is in use.
It will be a closed system until the OWB is in service and then i could actually isolate the electric boiler and drain it until it is needed but when I do use it, the water should be as clean as i can possibly keep it, which is good practice anyway.

I've never installed or used hydronic heating so I'm just thinking out loud and looking for ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.