ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Mine died today. I took it apart , degreased it, regreased it. Did noticed the drive gear looked a little worn in the middle. I also noticed the bar was pinched at the tip I guess creating more work, stress for the gears for this unknown period of time. Brushes were @1/2 worn too. This saw is 15+ years old.
I was looking at the poulans 16 inch 3.5 hp electric from Lowes. the opinions were good as well as another website for this chainsaw also were good. Cost is about $60.
This would be for around the house . I have been using the electric for "cross cutting"(?) logs that my splitter(4 ton Ryobi) just can't handle. I was comparing it to HD Homelite 16 and it got bad reviews. I do not have the $ to spend on a makita at this time.
Any other saws you may suggest to look at that may be comparable?
TIA4R! Chris

Attachments

• 024761034814md.jpg
    024761034814md.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 453
Motor runs great till you start to cut wood. . . then the motor still runs but the chain stops. . .old saw no chain break.

I have an older version of the Poulan 3.5 that I picked up at an estate sale brand new a few years ago for three bucks. Does what I need it to do just fine. That is usually just lopping the ends off of splits or 2X4s.

Look on craigslist. I see them all the time.

I am looking at a similar (or maybe the same) saw here for $ 77.88 new in the box. I have a gift cert for the store selling it - so no cost to me. Given my current saws this would just be a convenience item. Should I grab one?

edit:
Done deal model is an ES 350 - don't really think it will replace any of my gas saws, but will be useful for trimming down splits that are too long.

invest in a small gas saw

Hey check out todays CL for Jersey Shore. I think I saw an electric chainsaw for $20.00. I beleave it might have been in Waretown.
Hank

I have a Remington that I got from my Dad, nice saw but the lack of chain break and the fact it keeps spinning for a couple of seconds after I let go of the grip makes it a little more dangerous.

Sometimes the cheapest may not always be the best and spending extra bucks on one that has safety features may pay for itself with one missed accident.

It looks good, what size bar does it have on it...........

Status
Not open for further replies.