Electric Chainsaw Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2007
South Coast, MA
I was wondering if anyone has any experience using electric chainsaws and what there thoughts were. I won't be felling any trees with more just to cut my fire up as some pieces are over 22" max for my stove.

I saw this on online for $99 and the reviews were all good. I know the Echos and Husqvarnas are better but I'm not looking to spend $250 on an electric chainsaw.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07134118000P?keyword=chainsaw

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

I bought a refurbished Remington electric chainsaw for $29.95. I have a Husky gas chainsaw at my cottage but found I sometimes needed a saw at home. I had some wind damage and was very surprised at what the electric saw would do. It's a little slow but I had a damaged pine 12" on the butt and about 30 feet tall it cut up with no problem. For occasional use they are fine.

It's worth a shot. I've seen cheap electrics that were garbage (Wagner!) and others that actually hold up pretty well (an older Remington, for example).

I've always been under the impression that there are two kinds of electric saws - serious ones and everything else. Maybe this one is a middle ground. Don't know. Might as well give 'er a shot!

Thanks for the feedback. Now I just need to sell the idea to my wife... why do I need a chainsaw when we don't have any trees to cut down...

ClydesdaleBurner said:
Thanks for the feedback. Now I just need to sell the idea to my wife... why do I need a chainsaw when we don't have any trees to cut down...

Oh, come on. It's small enough in size and dollars that she'll never notice.

I had a cheapy for a while, it didn't last. I found a husqvarna new on ebay for $150 and love it. You don't always have to pay retail, so keep your eyes peeled on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.