Electric kinetic splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hmm. Manual calls for 15 amp receptacle, so that sounds fine. Are you using an extension cord? Gauge matters, especially if a longer cord.

If the generator breaker is instant-trip it may not like the inrush motor current. Does the splitter work if you plug it into a regular outlet or does it also trip that breaker? Also does the generator have GFCI protection?

Works okay in a regular outlet will trip some time if you have some big knotty wood not sure about GFCI it’s a 5500 champion generator if I hold the breaker with my hand I can get it going and it works fine

Yeah sounds like it's pulling right on the 15A mark and goes over during startup or under heavy load. I'd say if you found a way to make it work just keep doing that.

Manually holding in and over riding a circuit breaker --- in the electrical world I think the technical term is "un-good".

Manually holding in and over riding a circuit breaker --- in the electrical world I think the technical term is "un-good".
Just for motor start up it's fine. Yes if you hold it continuously that would be ungood.

If you had a receptacle wired with 12 gauge wire, and using a 20 amp breaker that should work fine. I don't have any good advice for the generator.

What kind of plugs are on the generator?

I bought a 30 amp to 15 amp RV adapter for just this purpose, my splitter won't blow the 30 amp breaker on the gennie.