electric log spliiters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one of those near me that doesn't run. I thought about getting it and messing with it...until I saw that video.
That one is a screw-drive. Do you think it'd be worth messing with ? I'm thinking maybe just the brushes are shot, or something simple.
Do you think it's really as loud as that video ?

Brian VT said:
Are most electrics this slow and noisy ?

Mine is fast and about as noisy as the big compressor the motor came off of.

Attachments

• right side splitter.jpg
    right side splitter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 327
Well...I picked up the Flowtron. LOL !
The motor works. It's about as loud as a circular saw.
The ram is hung up at the far end somehow.
For $25, I figured I'd take it home and mess with it.
If it is too slow for me I'll look for a local senior citizen that might want it.

I am very interested in the Lowes Task Force 5-ton electric splitter and want to hear anything you folks have to say about it, good or bad... Please give me the good and the bad on this unit...

Thanx,
Ray

Brian VT said:
The ram is hung up at the far end somehow.
I figured it out. There's a brass block with a threaded hole through it that carries the ram back and forth on the drive screw.
The threads are buggered. Now to find out if it's worth the $ to have a new block made. It's @ 2"x1.5"x2". Maybe I could have
a length of square stock drilled and tapped and cut several blocks out of it so I'd have spares ?
To be continued...

raybonz said:
I am very interested in the Lowes Task Force 5-ton electric splitter and want to hear anything you folks have to say about it, good or bad... Please give me the good and the bad on this unit...

Ray, I've had mine for two seasons, it splits 99.5% of what I put into it, and I'm overall very happy with it. The only thing that bothers me about it is the U-shaped steel tube that wraps around it. When the unit is stored upright, the ends of that tube support the weight of the splitter. The screws that attach that tube to the body gradually eat away at the body's metal, which isn't the highest quality, and strip the mounting threads. It's not confidence-inspiring, but it has no impact on it's splitting.

To get the most power from it, use the shortest, heaviest gauge AC cord you can. The resistance in the extension cord reduces the current that can be delivered to the motor. I made up a cord from 10 gauge wire and the difference was significant, compared to the 14 ga. I had before.

I've got the 6ton Iron Horse from GBO like some others on here and I'm not happy with it at all.
I've added hyro fluid and have it plugged in a strong outlet but it's just too weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.