Electric Log Splitters - Do 6-8 ton units really outperform the 4 ton (long)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akozar

Mar 30, 2006
Hi everyone - new to your column - I have searched all your columns for past feedback and the internet on electric log splitters - seems consencus here is to try the Ryobi, seemed to be lot good reviews of Fisch on Amazon. Ramsplitter, Fisch, Ryobi and Northern Industrial-(though rated lowest) seem to be well made units. Omega sound like a no go. What about Dr Wood ?? High Shipping though for these and you have to take it off the truck ??

I am spefically interested in :

Any info on comparison between electric splitters in $300-500 range:

Do they actually do what they say ???? Are any of these companies claims of log diameter is out of
touch with an electric splitter ?? Specifically can the Dr Wood 6-ton do what it says 16dia x 20 ??

Do the 6 or 8 ton electrics really outperform the 4 ton ?? I would pay 5, maybe 600 if they do.

My needs are only for supplemental heating the main 4 rooms in a 3500 Sq ft home (very open floor plan) in CT, but I have a lot land and trees - and they are big - I had 6 knocked down for me and I cut them up. I used about 3-4 cords per year. I have two large piles still to split from those trees with some 16-20 legth and 12-18inch width.

Welcome any comparisons or feedback of efficiency between:

Fisch 4-ton (20 long x 12 log capacity)

Ryobi 4 Ton Electric Log Splitter Model RY49701
(20 long x 12 log capacity)

DR®Wood Splitter 6-Ton Electric/Hydraulic Wood Splitter 2006
(logs 16" in dia and 20" long)
DR®Wood Splitter 5-Ton Electric/Hydraulic Wood Splitter 2006
(logs 12" thick and 20" long)

OmegaSplit2006 Edition - 9-ton (20 long x 24 diameter}
OmegaSplit-GOLD - 7-ton (20 long x 20 diameter )
OmegaSplit-X 6-ton (20 long x 18 diameter )

Northern Industrial Electric Log Splitter ? 5-Ton, Model# 2503Q002
(16in. long, 10in. dia.)

Quality Craft 4.5-ton Electric Log Splitter
(10" thick and up to 20" long)

Thanks
AL

Ryobi advantage If it does not do the job return it to Home Depot money back 90 days plus a real company with a parts distrobution and repair center network. 4 tons wins hands down vs competition.

I have not tried the 5ton units but did try the 6 ton Omega and Dr splitters. Dr wins due to again a real company that has been in the power tools industry a long time. Plus dealing with a reputable company It does split 50% more than the 4 tons models
As did the Omega which worked well. But please review the payment policy and red flags should popup everywhere.
Last fall I offered to demo and report my findings on the forum The man called me a crook. Had he been the least receptive he would have sold 50 more if it did as advertised. I do not trust the company and one has to wonder about warranty and parts availibility.

Me I own the Ramsplitter 12 tons but now 16 I upgraded it myself 20" long what ever I can lift it splits but a lot more money I would love to try the 9 ton Omega to see what it does Even if it did as advertised I would caution all to review the payment process and the person doing business with

Status
Not open for further replies.