Electric Motor ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I had my wife's treadmill apart adjusting the belt and couldn't help but notice the motor under the hood. Very smooth and quiet. Turns out it is 4000 rpm, 3hp and max 10hp. The question for the crew is how does that work? The motor I have on my splitter says 5 hp 3400 rpm and draws 15 amps 220. This one says 21 amps 120. So what is that max 10 hp all about? Does it just long enough to split the nasties but would overheat under that constant load? My wife told me not to cannibalize her tread mill but hey if I can't figure out the belt issue I might as well put it to good use right?

Attachments

• treadmill motor.jpg
    treadmill motor.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 143
  • splitter1.jpg
    splitter1.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 141
Thanks for the link...I didn't know the hp ratings were such a manipulable number on electric motors. Is the 5hp on the motor I am currently using from a rotted compressor real or is that overstated too? I know that thing draws current. I have it on a pair of 20 AMP breakers and every once in a while when I am pushing the splitter I trip the breaker. Maybe a couple times a year.

I really like how quiet that treadmill motor is compared to the compressor motor. I could listen to Mozart while splitting wood.

Thanks for the link...I didn't know the hp ratings were such a manipulable number on electric motors. Is the 5hp on the motor I am currently using from a rotted compressor real or is that overstated too? I know that thing draws current. I have it on a pair of 20 AMP breakers and every once in a while when I am pushing the splitter I trip the breaker. Maybe a couple times a year.

I really like how quiet that treadmill motor is compared to the compressor motor. I could listen to Mozart while splitting wood.

I think hp ratings are like wood splitter tonnage ratings. lol

I believe most motor's hp rating is determined by how much energy they use. So a poorly made and inefficient 5hp motor that generates lots of friction, heat and wiring leakage gets the same hp rating as well built 5hp motor.
Quality motor's like Baldor, I don't think fudge,,, chinese imports are at the other end.

Also those old cast iron motors from the 40s-60s always seem to have more real "power" at the tool than modern motors with the same rating.
You could run a Panzer tank on some of those old 3 hp monsters.

I have a 5hp (actually the motor is a Emerson "special" compressor motor without a hp rating on the tag, but calced to be about 5hp) electric motor on my splitter, the motor is quite, the pump is what makes the all noise at 3450 rpm.
I wear ear muffs while splitting,,, and sing to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.