Electric outlet needed for new insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cathead

Mar 18, 2008
Northern VA
I have decided to install an Archgard gas insert. The installer really pushed vent free gas logs but I am going for the insert instead. Question is, do I have to have an electrical outlet installed in the firebox to power the blower?

The insert will have a power cord, much like any other appliance, that plugs into a standard three-prong outlet. You may have to use an extention cord, like me, if there isn't an outlet close enough.

No, someone trying to BS you into a fat $$ job for them.
A 16 gague extension cord to the closest outlet to the stove should be more that adiquate, as long as it is NOT EXPOSED TO HEAT.

If it is /could be exposed to heat, the extension cord can still be used it is heat shielded
with sheet metal or a BX cable can also be used. BX cable is wiring inside a sheet metal shield.

I might add here,that I believe you would do better for your wallet, for many years into the future, to install a pellet stove or pellet insert, instead of a gas fueled heater.

I expect that the price of gas will lock step up with gasoline & fuel oil, $1.00 a year,every year
forever & ever until there is none left to sell at any price or we die of air polution or global warming , whichever comes first.

a pellet stove/insert is thermostatically controled from a wall thermostat, just like an oil or gas burner & auto igniting & with a 80 lb hopper (standard size hopper) never needs to be refilled with pellets more that once in a two day period, assuming a 24 hour non stop burn.

Refueling takes 5 minutes including time for a 4 minute coffee break.

Pellet stoves have come a long way. Now they are push to start,set & forget.

Current price for 1 bag of 40 lb pellets $5.oo & lasts 24 hours of continious non stop burning
or about 4 to 5 days of normal heat, depending.

winter 08/09 expected price $6.oo bag

If money means anything at all to you, get the pellet insert instead of the gas insert ,because 3 yrs from now , you would have to swap out the gas insert for a pellet insert because of gas price increases.

I have read the writing on the wall for you,that you missed & I have my "I told you so's" safely stashed away in the closet , well wrapped up in plastic, so they will be fresh, in case of need. ;-P

The insert will not be my main heat source, it will be used in the basement to take the chill out when I watch tv in the evening hours. I have an outlet about 2 ft away from where the insert will be. I guess my question is does the insert need electricity to function or just to use the blower function? I really don't want to see a power cord stretched across my new stone work and new insert. Do people have outlets installed in the box or just plug them into outlets already in the room?

A gas stove will operate without the electricity. But without the blower running a gas insert isn't going to put much heat out into the room. As to the outlet, my understanding is that building electrical codes call for you to have access to the plug in the same room as the appliance. In other words it couldn't be covered up behind the insert surround.

cathead said:
The insert will not be my main heat source, it will be used in the basement to take the chill out when I watch tv in the evening hours. I have an outlet about 2 ft away from where the insert will be. I guess my question is does the insert need electricity to function or just to use the blower function? I really don't want to see a power cord stretched across my new stone work and new insert. Do people have outlets installed in the box or just plug them into outlets already in the room?
I know exactly how you feel about the cord showing against the stonework. It was one of my concerns when doing the install. My wife was also aprehensive. But after a week, we completely forgot about it. You will too. Hide it with a kindling bucket or something if it really bothers you.

eernest4 said:
A 16 gague extension cord to the closest outlet to the stove should be more that adiquate, as long as it is NOT EXPOSED TO HEAT.

If it is /could be exposed to heat, the extension cord can still be used it is heat shielded
with sheet metal or a BX cable can also be used. BX cable is wiring inside a sheet metal shield.

I might add here,that I believe you would do better for your wallet, for many years into the future, to install a pellet stove or pellet insert, instead of a gas fueled heater.

I expect that the price of gas will lock step up with gasoline & fuel oil, $1.00 a year,every year
forever & ever until there is none left to sell at any price or we die of air polution or global warming , whichever comes first.

a pellet stove/insert is thermostatically controled from a wall thermostat, just like an oil or gas burner & auto igniting & with a 80 lb hopper (standard size hopper) never needs to be refilled with pellets more that once in a two day period, assuming a 24 hour non stop burn. geez, all the guy ask was an electrical question

Current price for 1 bag of 40 lb pellets $5.oo & lasts 24 hours of continious non stop burning

If money means anything at all to you, get the pellet insert instead of the gas insert ,because 3 yrs from now , you would have to swap out the gas insert for a pellet insert because of gas price increases.

I have read the writing on the wall for you,that you missed & I have my "I told you so's" safely stashed away in the closet , well wrapped up in plastic, so they will be fresh, in case of need. ;-P

eernest4 said:

a pellet stove/insert is thermostatically controled from a wall thermostat, just like an oil or gas burner & auto igniting & with a 80 lb hopper (standard size hopper) never needs to be refilled with pellets more that once in a two day period, assuming a 24 hour non stop burn.

Geez, all the poor guy asked about was a electrical outlet question

Status
Not open for further replies.