Electric splitter info wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2014
Southern NJ
I am looking for a small splitter. 5 ton splitter. After 1 season I am realizing that cutting wood is tiresome. Anybody have a good brand 5 ton splitter they can recommend? Maybe northern tool?

Depending on how much wood & what type you're splitting, an electric splitter might not be "untiresome" enough. I like my Homelite 5 ton splitter (bought from Home Depot), but I was trying to split big (~24-30" diameter) rounds of ash. It got to be a pain positioning the rounds just-so to avoid knots in the wood. That being said, it worked just fine for rounds that were a foot or so in diameter.

Reactions: mikey517
I have a 5 ton Ryobi (HD) that I bought used and it works fine, just have to be careful with large stuff and take small chunks out of it. Lots of used ones around from people who can't get the knack of using one. Better to pay $100. or less and sell it someday for the same $$.

Reactions: mikey517
I'm in NJ and if you want to try it lemme know. Forget what brand but it's a 5 ton electric. I'll update with brand information later.

Edit. Its a pow r craft.

Last edited:
P1020057 (1024x575).jpg I've had this one for four years and it works like a champ. Never had anything it wouldn't split (but I've had some hickory with crotches that were so stringy that I just decided it wasn't worth it to keep working it. Maybe 5 pieces in four years.)

http://www.amazon.com/Pow-Kraft-65575-Electric-Splitter/dp/B002UD5H5I

If I may make one suggestion....pay attention to the operation of the unit. Some have a momentary power switch, while others have an on/off switch. The momentary requires both hands for operation - the on/off is a one handed operation. I like keeping one hand on the round being split so that they don't try to shoot out and kill me.

Note: there have been mods posted here to bypass the momentary switch.

Two previous threads that may be of interest:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...for-one-handed-operation.137632/#post-1848912

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hf-5-ton-electric-review-06-14-update.124762/#post-1674658

Keep in mind they have a really slow cycle time - usually.
There's a couple ways to work around that. My splitter has a button plus a lever that has to be depressed to activate the ram. For shorter pieces, if you push the lever down when it retracts part way, the ram stops at that point. Then you reduce the ram travel & time by the distance that you are not using. Another way is to put a 8" piece of squared wood at the end of the ram. Of course, both ways add to the danger of an already dangerous job. Even an electric splitter can cause splits to fly out at astonishing speeds.

I got around all of that with my new stove. All the new splits are now the max. distance the splitter can handle, instead of the old one, which was 14-16" The splitting speed is now really fast because I usually only need a few seconds of travel.

The big headache with a small HP splitter is when the wedge sinks part way on a big piece, can't go further and gets stuck. Now you've got to wiggle/pound the split off the wedge end and try again. I paid $50. for a used 5 HP so I'm not upset. I've seen a few old & cheap 20+ HP gas units ($300 range) come up for sale but they are few & far between and you've got to be checking the ads 3 or 4 times a day. I had one a few weeks ago get snapped up as I was driving to the place to buy it. There's no way I can justify $1K on a splitter. Besides, my wife loves to work the electric splitter. Very quiet and low tech for her. ;);)

I've read some positive reviews on the Pow R Kraft. They seem to be built well and last longer than cheaper ones. You may wish to upgrade to a 7-ton model. 5 tons sounds like a lot but it isn't when you've got knotty yard tree oak to work with.

Just purchased a Blue Max 7 ton splitter. Should be delivered within the week.

Just purchased a Blue Max 7 ton splitter. Should be delivered within the week.

Cool. Good luck with it. I have a HF 5 ton. I like it. It's fun to use. For me it's most useful on softwoods like spruce - which just soak up my swings with the maul. Splitting by hand is still my primary source of splitting but I do like having the electric splitter. I also find it useful to use in conjunction with the maul. Let us know how it works out for you.

I'd love to see a real world comparison between a 5 ton & a 7 ton. Somehow, I doubt there will be much difference in performance but I am known as a pessimist by some.

I've read some positive reviews on the Pow R Kraft. They seem to be built well and last longer than cheaper ones. You may wish to upgrade to a 7-ton model. 5 tons sounds like a lot but it isn't when you've got knotty yard tree oak to work with.

My 5 ton bogged on an apple round. But it was twisted and gnarly. It split in the 27 ton but it was so twisty that the splits ended up being a mess.

Yes, I looked at smaller ones but decided that for the difference in cost, having extra oomph was a good thing. I also like that the sides of the Pow R Kraft are enclosed, so you don't get bits of wood (or fingers) in there. The only thing I don't like is the small wheels, but they seem to be standard on the small electrics. That's why I strap mine to the hand truck to move it around, then remove the straps and split with it sitting on the hand truck. Nice having it somewhat elevated.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I have the 5 ton Harbor Freight, most of their stuff is hit or miss, but this thing has been great. Depends on what your doing I've busted up several a 24"+ rounds no problem, it was pine though :) but for resplitting yellow birch, Ash, Oak chucks its great! The best part is 1 hand operation (don't need to hold a safety and the lever and it doesn't have to cycle back to the start position before you can start again) The wheels kinda suck on it and its heavy but the hand truck idea is a good one.

The 20 or 25% off coupons are easy to come by, I think I paid $225 around last Christmas time for it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-log-splitter-61373.html

That harbor freight looks like a lot more work than using a Fiskars and goes much slower too.

These splitters are workbench tools. Not really intended to be used while setting on the ground. That would be an ergonomic nightmare.

I have a 5 ton Pow R Kraft and a 5 ton Harbor Freight splitter and they are virtually the same machine. I could swap most of the parts between them. The one handed operation of the HF is a big plus. But so is the available stand for the PK.

I have a 7 year old task force. It is beat to hell and still goes great. Vice grip lever replacement has a pipe on it for weight making it a one handed unit. Tires are shot, mounting bracket completely tore away from body. I split it out of truck bed and into wheelbarrow.IMG_20150911_105545609_HDR.jpg

Reactions: dafattkidd
I bought a used Grizzly 5 ton last year, and its been great. I use it for just splitting large rounds in my basement which are borderline green/seasoned. As far as cycle time, the pusher on the ram can be adjusted with a pin so you dont have to wait for the ram to make up space. For what i do which is occasional property clean up or reducing splits in my basement its great. If i was cutting my own all the time i would do gas.

Reactions: BrotherBart
I have the 5 ton Harbor Freight, most of their stuff is hit or miss, but this thing has been great. Depends on what your doing I've busted up several a 24"+ rounds no problem, it was pine though :) but for resplitting yellow birch, Ash, Oak chucks its great! The best part is 1 hand operation (don't need to hold a safety and the lever and it doesn't have to cycle back to the start position before you can start again) The wheels kinda suck on it and its heavy but the hand truck idea is a good one.

The 20 or 25% off coupons are easy to come by, I think I paid $225 around last Christmas time for it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-log-splitter-61373.html

I've got the same one. Worked great last year when I bought it. Went to use it this year, and it started slipping. No fluid coming out, but it won't stop the engine when it gets warm anymore, and gets worse until you let it cool down. Then it will stop the motor like it's supposed to for a few logs, until it starts "slipping" again. You hold the lever down, and it never stops the engine, just like if you were only holding it down half way. Changed the oil, and still doing it after it gets warm. No recourse really on a $350 splitter after tax without an extended warranty. I'm not happy to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.