Electric splitter is here, electrical spec mysteries. Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Use a good round as a spacer at the foot of the splitter to make up for the extra length that it's designed for....place a round you want to split against the "spacer" round and stop the wedge before it gets to the spacer....it should split the round you want split with much less travel.

I'm not familiar with the difference between regular and synthetic oil in regards to low temperatures, but remember that it isn't primarily the motor that you're concerned with in cold temps but rather the hydraulic pump and the temperature of the oil inside it...it's got to be fluid enough to do what it does.

As for pulling it, you might want to invest in a sheet of 1/2" plywood and split it length ways...you could lay this down to roll in on...switching positions between the two pieces as the splitter travels (leap-frogging style). Also, if you have something to anchor it to at the top of your hill where the rounds are then you might could pick up a cheap HF come-a-long or a boat winch to pull the splitter up the hill with.

Just some thoughts, best wishes,
Ed[/quote]

Thanks, Ed. The problem with using a spacer, as I discovered, is that the two-handed operation means you can't get much distance from it, and sometimes the chunk can buckle and flip up potentially into your head. A lot of the stuff I have to split wasn't cut evenly on one side or both, which makes the buckling problem worse.

The winch idea would be great, but I'm doubtful it would work with this piece of equipment and my hill since it has to be nearly straight upright and vertical just to go over level ground. It's really unfortunate that they didn't make this thing with retractable/extendable wheels or stand so you could get the stand out of the way when you need to move it or put it down for stability when you use it.

Also, I assume as an electric-power device it should not be left outside, even covered, so any method of hauling it up there would have to be quick and easy enough to do repeatedly.

I'm likely going to have to have my wood supply dumped near the house, split it down there and then truck it up to the stacks. Pain in the neck, but doable.

Just curious...what brand is your splitter and where did you buy it?

DanCorcoran said:

It's a Woodeze, gotten from Northline Express.

Here: http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5WZ-LS56/WoodEze-4-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter-LS56

It's on sale right now for $250, NE doesn't charge shipping for orders over $100, and I found a coupon for 10 percent off. So it cost me $225, including shipping, which is a great deal.

I gather this same machine is sold under a variety of brand names and gets high marks under all of them. It's a very solid piece of equipment, nothing shoddy about it. But if you're considering it, do take the specs for what it's designed to do seriously.

Yes, I've been seriously considering the 7-ton version of that splitter. They've gotten good reviews on this site...thanks for the info.

gyrfalcon said:
DanCorcoran said:

It's a Woodeze, gotten from Northline Express.

Here: http://www.northlineexpress.com/item/5WZ-LS56/WoodEze-4-Ton-Electric-Log-Splitter-LS56

It's on sale right now for $250, NE doesn't charge shipping for orders over $100, and I found a coupon for 10 percent off. So it cost me $225, including shipping, which is a great deal.

I gather this same machine is sold under a variety of brand names and gets high marks under all of them. It's a very solid piece of equipment, nothing shoddy about it. But if you're considering it, do take the specs for what it's designed to do seriously.

Sounds like a good deal to me... You'll need to post a review once you put it through its paces...

Ray

Could the spacer buckling up be solved by binding the spacer to the rail of the splitter with a rope, ratchet strap, or whatever?

Well, if you could get the splitter up to your splitting area could you build a doghouse to park it in to keep it out of the weather? But, in regards to moving it...it would take a little investment (~$50) at Harbor Freight to get one of their Big Foot handtruck....and you could use the handtrucks to move wood with and other things, too. If you grab a HF 20%-off coupon off the internet before you go....it will bring it down to around $40. ;)

Just some ideas...

Ed

<<EDIT>> Ok, I see that binding the spacer down wouldn't really work because the wedge is fixed. <duh>

gyrfalcon said:
Thanks, Ed. The problem with using a spacer, as I discovered, is that the two-handed operation means you can't get much distance from it, and sometimes the chunk can buckle and flip up potentially into your head. A lot of the stuff I have to split wasn't cut evenly on one side or both, which makes the buckling problem worse.

The winch idea would be great, but I'm doubtful it would work with this piece of equipment and my hill since it has to be nearly straight upright and vertical just to go over level ground. It's really unfortunate that they didn't make this thing with retractable/extendable wheels or stand so you could get the stand out of the way when you need to move it or put it down for stability when you use it.

Also, I assume as an electric-power device it should not be left outside, even covered, so any method of hauling it up there would have to be quick and easy enough to do repeatedly.

I'm likely going to have to have my wood supply dumped near the house, split it down there and then truck it up to the stacks. Pain in the neck, but doable.

My task force 5 ton weighs 107 lbs.. It has wheels that are big enough for moving around the basement but little else. I just throw it on my 2 wheel dolly and take it anywhere, even up steps. I use mine in the basement all winter. What I do is cut my wood to the size I need for normal burning and split what I need for start-up, quick heat, etc in the basement as needed

Status
Not open for further replies.