Electric Splitter recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Hi All,
I have most of my wood delivered split,although I am getting proficient at scrounging.
When it comes split, it is still in pretty big pieces, and since I have a small insert I usually need to resplit.
Basically, most of the wood is oak and maple, and lenghts are 16-18".
Looking to see how folks have made out with an electric splitter, what kind/model?
Believe me, I would love to have a gas model, but based on that I don't get huge rounds, I think that an electric splitter would be ok for the size I am splitting.
Thanks.

Do a search on "electric splittter" you will find a lot of discussions of them.

People seem to like DR splitters, though they are on the high side of the price range.

Mixed reviews on the Ryobi's

No real high complaint models that I recall.

Gooserider

The smaller Electric splitters all seem to be made by the same company, minor cosmetic differences from one model to the next. I have the HF one (as well as a big gas rig) some differences in acceptable length of log to be split ( HF 15") You can run a full size splitter with electric actually cheaper as long as you have somewhere to plug into. Defeats purpose if you have to run a generator. To date I have seen advertised 4ton, 5 ton, and lately a 7 ton model. I forget the exact ratio but apex. 10 hp of gas is around 4hp of electric. RPM of electric motor comes into play, some are 1750 some 3600 your gas engine at full throttle is about 3000. So that could give some idea as to speed. Nice as you can run all day inside and not worry about Carbon Monoxide. None of the ads I have seen have listed specs, pump size , motor rpm, cylinder dia. most do list length of split though.

I have a Ryobi that I use to resplit my wood. I have a wood furnace in the basement so it wood well for me.
I did bend the frame so it not really heavey duty, but it works well for resplitting.

I just bought a 5 ton Task Force from Lowes for $299 and was very supprised at how good it worked for me. I lost 2 trees this spring and had a tree service come in and take them down and leave me everything over 6". The Task Force took care of everything under 12" and can take 20" logs. Ok it didn't handle the trunks that I have left but if I bust them up with a maul to get them down to size it will handle them once you get them smaller. For the money and what I have to split around my yard it was great. Yeah I wish I could aford a gas one but.

Status
Not open for further replies.